Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.


Burst Radiator Hose - Battery Dead?


HondaMusician
08-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey guys,

first time here. Was driving my 1989 Honda Accord DX yesterday in record heat and the upper radiator hose burst. Temp gauge dropped and car started smoking. Stopped driving and got a tow home.

I replaced the hose, but now the car isn't starting. It wants to turn and almost catches, but won't start. The battery light is on. Could the burst radiator hose have killed the battery? Maybe a short circuit?

When I replaced the hose some red liquid came out, looked like oil or coolant. no idea. any thoughts?

any help is appreciated.

somick
08-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Start with making sure all connections are good. Check the battery posts. Make sure they are not corroded, not covered with any white stuff. If they are, clean them with a solution of baking soda and water. Put them back and make sure they are tight (but do not over do it).

Antifreeze could get into the electrical connectors. Open your hood and let everything dry.

Good luck,

Sam

rather_b_boatin
09-11-2010, 11:10 PM
The red oily liquid you found is automatic transmission fluid that shares space inside the radiator with coolant only they are supposed to be sealed off from eachother. If you found a lot of it you may need a new radiator. Check your auto trans. fluid asap. Good luck.

somick
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
The red oily liquid you found is automatic transmission fluid that shares space inside the radiator with coolant only they are supposed to be sealed off from eachother. If you found a lot of it you may need a new radiator. Check your auto trans. fluid asap. Good luck.
I missed the "red", but coolant might be red as well. OP did mention "oily". If it is "oily" - this is of course ATF.

Sam

razr_88
09-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I missed the "red", but coolant might be red as well. OP did mention "oily". If it is "oily" - this is of course ATF.

Sam

coolant is never red but dexcool IS orange, and standard antifreeze is green. the only fluid that is red is transmission fluid.

Overheating can lead to a lot of pretty terrible, damning things. If it overheated badly enough, you could have warped a head or blown a head gasket (the latter is better than the former, but they both suck). overheating can cause a LOOoooOOOOt of problems. and they range from sticking valves to seized pistions... do you have anymore details/updates?

rather_b_boatin
09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I completely agree with razor88's 2nd paragraph... & thanks, did not know dexcool was orange... (and I've owned a few GM's)

somick
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Sorry guys!

I am color blind......

Sam

razr_88
09-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Sorry guys!

I am color blind......

Sam

haha sry... my comment sounded more aggressive than i intended :licka:

jeffcoslacker
09-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Dexcool was red when it first came out. It's orange now.

Add your comment to this topic!