Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

abs and tire pressure lights on

TDWPgtp
08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
hey guys i know this is a common problem on grand prixs (mine is a 97 gtp) but if im not mistaken, doesnt the traction light come on? currently ONLY the ABS and tire pressure lights are on and the power steering is stiffer than it should be. does anyone know what i could do to help find the problem without taking it and getting it scanned?

BNaylor
08-27-2010, 08:07 AM
It depends. On '97 probably not since it has the low tire pressure warning system unlike later GP models which do not. Stiffer steering is normal with an ABS traction control issue since the EBTCM module controls the Magnasteer.

Best to get it scanned with an ABS capable scanner. When do the fault lights turn on?

TDWPgtp
08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
usually when i make a sharp turn or when i turn while going over a bump of some sort. i unplugged and replugged the sensors on both wheels yesterday to make sure they were connected properly and it seemed to help a little... it takes more to get them to turn on now. it used to do it almost immediately when i turned at all

biounlimited
08-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Just had this problem on my 97' GTP. Pull the tires off the front, and check the ABS wire connectors on both sides just behind the CV The wires going into the connector will break and loose contact. Then it will trigger ABS / Low tire light. You will need a special terminal tool to take the connector apart to repair, our buy a new harness. Mine broke on the wheel side, and I had to take it apart to repair.

TDWPgtp
08-29-2010, 02:11 PM
while inspecting the driverside wires, one of them broke as soon as i touched it. i assume it was litterally hanging on by one thread. anyway, its one of the wires between the plug and the hub. seeing as this wire is only a few inches long in the first place, is there any way to safely fix it, or is it just going to keep coming undone? do i need to replace the whole hub?

TDWPgtp
08-29-2010, 05:55 PM
well both wires on that plug were torn so i just ordered a new up. thanks for your help though

Add your comment to this topic!