Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help fast on a 2007 Tahoe!!

Enemigo
08-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Took the car through inspection and failed because the right parking brake had less braking force than the left. I rarely every use the parking brake so i know the parking brake shoe is still good. I heard you can adjust the brake cable, but i don't know how or where it is. Can someone please give me a "how to" on adjusting the brake cable? I need to take it back through inspection tomorrow. Please help fast. Thanks in Advance.

Car info: 2007 Tahoe LTZ, 4x2, non flex fuel. Thanks!

Jose

Airjer_
08-24-2010, 11:37 PM
There should be a star adjuster for the ebrake shoes behind the rotor.

Enemigo
08-25-2010, 12:35 AM
How do i know when its actually tightening the cable? is there like a rule of thumb? basically, "turn all the way to the right, then turn back X amount of times"? etc... thanks!

MT-2500
08-25-2010, 07:23 AM
How do i know when its actually tightening the cable? is there like a rule of thumb? basically, "turn all the way to the right, then turn back X amount of times"? etc... thanks!

The base adjustment is to tighten the adjuster up until wheel gets tight and then back it off until free wheel.

But best to pull rotor and inspect linings and adjuster first.
Most the adjuster is a pain to adjust.
With rotor off you can see how adjuster works and find the right curve adjuster tool to adjust it.
Let us know how it goes.

Airjer_
08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Your not adjusting the cable your adjusting the clearance of the ebrake shoes themselves. Just like you would back in the day when you had to adjust rear drum brakes.

j cAT
08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Took the car through inspection and failed because the right parking brake had less braking force than the left. I rarely every use the parking brake so i know the parking brake shoe is still good. I heard you can adjust the brake cable, but i don't know how or where it is. Can someone please give me a "how to" on adjusting the brake cable? I need to take it back through inspection tomorrow. Please help fast. Thanks in Advance.

Car info: 2007 Tahoe LTZ, 4x2, non flex fuel. Thanks!

Jose

is this 4wd with 4 wheel disc brakes ? or 2wd rear drum brakes ?

If you have rear disc brakes the rotor must be removed . then the park shoes inspected for wear/dragging...dragging is when the drum is shinny ..

you adjust the wheel and install the rotor until it has resistance then back off a few notches..use the lug nut to hold down the rotor when doing this.

messing with the cable adjustment before doing these adjustments is not recommended..if one shoe worn and the other not you have problems ...cable or a defective shoe hold down clip..

Add your comment to this topic!