Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need to store a corolla what do I do?

sixseas
08-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I need to store my Corolla for for 2 or more years. Is there anything I can do like add fuel stabilizers or maybe battery exciter so its usable when I return home? Or do nothing? Any experience with this would be appreciated.

Airjer_
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
What year, how many miles, will it be stored inside, and is there any opportunity for it to be driven every couple of weeks or so?

sixseas
08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Its a 1993 Corolla, about 93k well maintained miles will be stored in underground but not closed in parking in Ft Lauderdale. There is little chance of anyone starting it for 2 or more years. I’m setup with a battery changer and air pump for when I get back. When I got back from this deployment after 2 years battery was down needed to be charged otherwise ran good was considering a marine deep cycle battery or putting the battery on the patio with solar 1.5vdc exciter and leaving with a quarter tank of fuel with stabilizer? Also a strange gray mold was growing on all interior plastic parts cleaned off okay with protectant but look like it will be back with a vengeance.

jdmccright
09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll agree that you should find someone to help maintain it while you're away. 2 years is a long time to let it sit, but there are some things you can do to help stave off a slow death in humid Ft. Lauderdale.

1) Wash, wax, engine degrease, clean/shampoo, and vacuum the interior throrughly to prevent odors. Let it thoroughly dry inside before storage. Get a big tub or two of Damp-Rid and place them on the floors. These should be replaced/refreshed periodically as the dessicant is used up and emptied of absorbed water. Do not leave the windows cracked open.

2) Fill with at least 1/2 tank of gas and add fuel stabilizer, but full is better to prevent any water condensation inside the tank. Run it so the fuel is well distributed through the fuel system.

3) Remove the plugs and spray some engine fogger into each plug hole to coat the cylinder walls with oil. Can't recall if you should crank the enigne over to distribute it or not...read the directions. Reinstall the plugs.

4) Raise the car up on blocks to prevent flat spots on the tires. If you can, remove the tires and apply a thin coat of anticorrosive spray, such as "Corrosion X" from marine supply stores, to the brake rotors and drums (inner surfaces too), parking brake cables, shock/strut rods, etc. Reinstall the tires but consider installing wheel locks.

5) Apply protectant to all the rubber and plastic surfaces. Spray it (or aforementioned anticorrosive spray) onto the engine's surfaces, wires, vacuum and radiator hoses, etc.

6) Take everything out you don't want stolen...even custom-installed stereos...it can happen.

7) Remove the battery and store with a trickle charger. It will just be drained and likely leak otherwise.

8) Cover with a good fitted cover, especially if it will be exposed to the sun. Any looseness will flap against the paint in a wind and scratch it.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything, but these are at least some things you can do. Hopefully others will chime in and add more or correct me. As mentioned, it really helps to have the car somewhere where a friend/relative can watch over it and run it occasionally, especially the A/C.

Good luck and God bless while you are overseas!

Add your comment to this topic!