Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Caliper Bolts

polarzak
08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Title should be Brake Caliper BRACKET bolts.

When you replace brake disks and have to remove the caliper mounting bracket,
on installation,,do you use a thread locker on the bracket bolts if you are reusing the same bolts? I have read some say you should, and other say thread locker is not needed, just torque to specs.
Thoughts and recommendations please and thanks.

Smith1000
08-23-2010, 08:48 PM
When I replaced the disks on my '97, several years ago, I don't believe I used a thread locker. Also, I am fairly sure I did not torque the bolts to specs either. I drive some fairly rough back roads and never lost a bolt. I used to have a Taurus that would occasionally loose the bolts that the calipers slide on. I ended up using a locker on those. There just wasn't enough thread for a good grip.

imidazol97
08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Title should be Brake Caliper BRACKET bolts.

When you replace brake disks and have to remove the caliper mounting bracket,
on installation,,do you use a thread locker on the bracket bolts if you are reusing the same bolts? I have read some say you should, and other say thread locker is not needed, just torque to specs.
Thoughts and recommendations please and thanks.

Service manual for my 2003 clearly says red thread locker is needed. I believe it also says new bolts each time. I used red thread lock on the original bolts. Clean the old bolts and threads with alcohol.

polarzak
08-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks for both replies. So I guess it is 50% against using it and 50% for using the thread locker. I have removed the caliper brackets several times before on various cars over the years, and have never used an thread lock on the bolts, and never had any loose bolts. So, I probably will not bother this time either.
Thanks.

enslow
08-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I noticed that thread locker is used originally on caliper bolts, but I've never bothered to use it myself, nor have I ever torqued them. I just torque them as much as I can with my 15" ratchet. However, given that thread locker is quite cheap, and I have a tube of it now, it's probably not a bad idea to use it. For bleeder valves I torque them, then test the system for leaks. Then I torque them just enough so that it doesn't leak.

polarzak
08-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks everyone.

Add your comment to this topic!