Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Durango 4.7 Monitor tests & Code Help

94BonnevilleKid
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Okay... So I was given this 2004 durango 4.7 to work on (52k). It was shooting codes all over the place. I spent the past week fixing it, then went to go get emissions done today and all the monitors aren't firing yet after (I believe) I have followed the correct instructions for the driving conditions it needs in order for the monitors to run...

So, here's the work I did.........

Cyl 4: Fuel Injector
Cyl 4: Coil Pack
Cyl 4: Both rockers & Valve springs
Passenger Side Valve Cover
Complete Tune-up
Oil Change

I was able to clear all of the codes, however after putting app. 100 miles on the vehicle code PO430 (Catalyst Efficency Below Threshold on Bank 2) came up and it was NOT up before (it has only come up as an "actual" code once, the rest of the times have been a PENDING code), however I still cannot get the catalyst monitor to run... (So it probably is the O2 Sensor that's been setting off the code. But in order to get the emissions done I have to at least get that monitor to run...) I'm getting really aggrivated and lost!!!

ONE MORE THING! If I can even get the Catalyst Monitor to run will I still fail emissions with the PENDING PO430 Code???

HELP!!!

jpb53
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
In Illinois if the vehcle fails an emission test for a cat code that monitor needs to be completed for the next test. 2001 and newer need to have all but 1 monitor complete to test. Look at the info here.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/repair.html

94BonnevilleKid
08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you for that link! Much help! One question though, are you saying for IL I am still able to go for an emissions test if I have all but 1 Monitor up? So I have two down, the evap (haven't been able to leave it off for long enough yet) and the Catalyst, so if one of those Monitors comes up, and the other doesn't, provided the codes stay clear, can I run it though emissions???

jpb53
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/tech-bulletins/pass-fail-reject-criteria.pdf

Add your comment to this topic!