Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SVS and Brake Warning lights are on.

canatto
08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
the car is 2000 GLS Sterling edition (with PCS). I searched the internet and many seemed to have 4 warning lights turn on at the same time, SVS, ABS, Brake, and TRAC OFF, and by replacing the brake control module many have solved the problem.

Mine is a bit different, as only the SVS and the Brake warning lights are the ones that turn on and stay on. The ABS and TRAC OFF only turn on briefly during the bulb check (so they are in working order indeed), along with all other warning lights in the instrument cluster. The traction control switch on the center console seems to have lost its functionality as it does not turn on/off the TRAC OFF light any more. There seems to have been no brake performance changes though I haven't had a chance to brake or turn hard to test the ABS/traction.

I have checked that all exterior light bulbs are working well, and the brake fluid level is good too.

The car had been having the SECURITY warning light on for many months (yet car has been operating normally otherwise) until recently when this SVS/Brake episode unfolded. The Security light simply turned itself off mysteriously.

I'm wondering what else I could check on the car before taking it in and pay for the Tech-II scan. Thanks for any input!

krivasauto
08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
the car is 2000 GLS Sterling edition (with PCS). I searched the internet and many seemed to have 4 warning lights turn on at the same time, SVS, ABS, Brake, and TRAC OFF, and by replacing the brake control module many have solved the problem.

Mine is a bit different, as only the SVS and the Brake warning lights are the ones that turn on and stay on. The ABS and TRAC OFF only turn on briefly during the bulb check (so they are in working order indeed), along with all other warning lights in the instrument cluster. The traction control switch on the center console seems to have lost its functionality as it does not turn on/off the TRAC OFF light any more. There seems to have been no brake performance changes though I haven't had a chance to brake or turn hard to test the ABS/traction.

I have checked that all exterior light bulbs are working well, and the brake fluid level is good too.

The car had been having the SECURITY warning light on for many months (yet car has been operating normally otherwise) until recently when this SVS/Brake episode unfolded. The Security light simply turned itself off mysteriously.

I'm wondering what else I could check on the car before taking it in and pay for the Tech-II scan. Thanks for any input!

Could also be an ignition switch.

canatto
08-27-2010, 12:28 PM
There has been new development.

The car would not start anymore when I came off work and tried to drive home the other day. It wasn't battery, not the starter either, as I was able to have the engine cranked strongly by bypassing the starter relay (crank only, no start of course). Had it towed to the dealer and they found a bunch of DTC codes with Tech-2 scanner that are all "U" codes pointing to a non-communicating BCM.

A new BCM would take 3-4 business days to arrive so I had them consider a used one, but they told me a BCM cannot be re-programmed for a different vehicle once it had been programmed, and therefore a used unit would not be an option. Is the dealer correct by saying that?

The car is 2000 GLS by the way.

Thanks!

carbon02
08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Well I believe the comment from the dealership that old modules can't be used is not neccessarly true. Maybe it's something that they can't do with their resources at the dealership. A fourm member Krivasauto has had success matching modules from a salvage yard. Check out his page at http://99intrigue.shutterfly.com. It's under EBTCM. I do remember someone saying that there's a few different modules in Intrigues. Make sure you get the right one.. Swap exact as possible. The other option is google Modulemasters. I remember a few people on forums saying they had success with this company rebuilding modules. I have no affiliation with them nor have I used them, but it's an option.

More importantly, I'm not convinced that a bad U code with a Brake control module would effect the ability to start. I've had intermittant U code communication codes located both in the EBTCM and the SDM (Sensing Diagnostic Module) both relating to communication faults from the brake control module and the car still starts and runs.

I remember the brake control module being about $800-$1000 dollars USD, so it's something that I would do rebuilt just in case that's not the only issue going on.

I've got issues with stiff steering on the 2002 Intrigue and that's why I was scanning the Brake Control module.. It controls the variable effort steering. But that's another story.

Good Luck-

krivasauto
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Well I believe the comment from the dealership that old modules can't be used is not neccessarly true.

He's talking about the BCM, or Body Control Module. But I thought I had seen somewhere in the forum where someone had replaced one with a used one and go a cooperative dealer to reprogram. I think they're not supposed to do it for anti-theft purposes.

carbon02
08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Sorry Cantatto & Krivasauto--

I'm scanning to many e-mails lately not reading carefully enough.

This issue is discussed on the current page of the forums. Author's name was Tobey.

Good luck-

Dave

cougar214
09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey carbon02 can you elaborate on the stiff steering? I have the same thing going on in mine ever sense I bought it. At first I thought it was just air in the rack but you can see from my other post I got that taken care of.

Mine has very "loose" steering when I'm sitting still in park. But Once I go into gear and start driving it "stiffens" up. I always though Oldsmobile was supposed to have that nice loose steering all the time. Is this what yours is doing? I don't wanna be rude and high jack someone else's post so could you start a new thread on this topic please? Thanks.

canatto
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Just would like to follow it up with the result.

The dealer had told me it would take 3-4 days for the new BCM to come in but it had never come in after 3 weeks! The BCM was on back order and no one was able to tell when it would be available or never would be at all. They'd rather keep me stranded and waiting than to work on a used one to get me out of trouble. I talked to GM of Canada Customer Communication Center many times and all they could offer was a free oil change -- they were sorry they were unable to help me because of the company policy of not re-programming a used BCM.

I had to had the car towed out of the dealership, after paying $90 for the diagnosis of cause, and got an independent shop to replace with a used BCM and re-program it. It took the shop only a couple of hours to get the job done once they've got the part which was readily available. Prior to that I even offered the dealer cash-no-receipt to have a tech do it with a used BCM for me on after-hours just so I would not have to get it towed again, and they turned me down.

For those of you who may have the same trouble (I hope not) you never want to go to GM dealer. Simply call around and find a garage that have access to TECH-II and you'll be fine.

Add your comment to this topic!