Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya finished models

Cychalen
05-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Is this old news?
Tamiya finished models. (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamiya.com%2Fjapan%2 Fshow0305%2Fbroadcast_sp.htm&lp=ja_en&tt=url)
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/show0305/photo/nm_sp1_2.jpg
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/show0305/photo/nm_sp4_2.jpg http://www.tamiya.com/japan/show0305/photo/nm_sp5_2.jpg http://www.tamiya.com/japan/show0305/photo/nm_sp3_2.jpg

freakray
05-15-2003, 11:32 AM
No, it is the first time we have seen photos of these semi-finished kits, THANKS :cool:

Cychalen
05-15-2003, 11:39 AM
You are welcome.
I think there is a market for finished models.
I will definitely buy the MB CLK DTM 2000 TOT because I really want it and I am not good at placing decals.

Jay!
05-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks!! :D :D :D

njh
05-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Orginally posted by Cychalen
You are welcome.
I think there is a market for finished models.
I will definitely buy the MB CLK DTM 2000 TOT because I really want it and I am not good at placing decals.

Acutally I think these kits sort of defeats the purpose of modelling. You won't have to paint the body and put the deacls, what you have to do are just the interior. I think these kits would be good for those newbies to modelling, I think most veteran's would rather buy an unbuilt one. Or maybe I would be good for people who can't find the time to carefully paint and decal the body.

Anyone knows what the price will be like?

Jay!
05-15-2003, 12:02 PM
4200 yen for the cars; 7200 yen for the bike...

tamiyarevell
05-15-2003, 01:11 PM
I want to buy this one:D
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/show0305/photo/nm_sp4.jpg

Vric
05-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
4200 yen for the cars; 7200 yen for the bike...

oh my god !!!!

I won't pay 100$can for the bike ! when i can get 3 tamiya kit (or 6 revell kit)

Rtuned
05-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by njh

Acutally I think these kits sort of defeats the purpose of modelling. You won't have to paint the body and put the deacls, what you have to do are just the interior. I think these kits would be good for those newbies to modelling, I think most veteran's would rather buy an unbuilt one. Or maybe I would be good for people who can't find the time to carefully paint and decal the body.

Anyone knows what the price will be like?
Ditto. What's the point of building something that is already done. The decals on those cars is the most challenge stage, I wouldn't want to skip that stage. By if you are noob, then it will be another story :D

Davoaldo
05-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Actually i might just get one to c how well it is done and of course learn from it hhehhee its always easier to learn when you have one next to you

Deejay27
05-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Very interesting....never seen these kits before. I also would rather make an attempt at building my own regardless of how it may turn out.

cph81
05-15-2003, 02:51 PM
It might looks good in the hobby show but you'll never know what's inside the box.

How do tamiya make the pre-finish kit? Do they hire some people to spray the body and put on the decal??

hirofkd
05-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Problem of a product like this is that it won't sell to both newbies and experienced modelers.
Newbies don't spend that much for a model.
And experienced modelers rather enjoy putting together themselves.

It's probably designed to a casual adult modelers, who have money, but don't have time or skills to complete a model.
In other words, the target market is very small.

What we really need is a product to expand the modeling population.

I have some hope, because Bandai has sold 1 million Strike Gundam already, and they are planning to sell 1.2 million Freedom Gundam by the end of this year. That's a huge success, and their target is elementary school kids. They'll eventually grow up, and start modeling air, armor and cars.

daggerlee
05-15-2003, 03:33 PM
So what kind of finish are they doing? You can get some good finishes on diecast from machine already, and I imagine those decals are just stickers, not real waterslide, and probably clearcoated...

Jay!
05-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by hirofkd
Problem of a product like this is that it won't sell to both newbies and experienced modelers.

It's probably designed to a casual adult modelers, who have money, but don't have time or skills to complete a model.
In other words, the target market is very small....And is the market that already buys pre-assembled die-cast cars...

rhmatt
05-15-2003, 03:50 PM
OMG!!!

Tamiya has cloned Warren’s Kiwibot!!! I can see an entire factory of them now, hundreds of little Kiwibots all working together, putting out hundreds of models a day!

But really, I despise die-cast and will probably lump these in with them. They look nice, but what's the point?!?

I like the "hunt" as much as the "kill" if you can decipher Texas terminology. :D In other words, I'd just rather build my own.

-Rick

primera man
05-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Thats a heck of alot of money to pay !!

To me the whole idea of building a model is you do the whole lot so you can say i took a pile of white plastic and turned it into this(finished model) :cool:

dvdfreak
05-15-2003, 09:25 PM
I think this is goning to share the market of die-cast "model" market,
because that is a huge market, and can make great profit with best quality.
this is a good move for tamiya I think, because these will be the best quality in that market.

and I don't think this is gona have effect on unassembled model market.

christofurr
05-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by hirofkd

I disagree with your 'newbie' point. I consider myself new to this hobby. Sure, I have built 3 models in the past, but that was over 5 years ago, and the quality of the finish product was horrible. I'm only working on my 'first' model at the moment, but when I buy models, I don't go for the cheapest kit I can find, in fact I'd much rather fork over more money for something that will look good in the end, and even buy additional parts that will add detail. I'm not alone either, I know of several people buying Tamiya Enzo, as their first model which is hardly a cheaper model.

christofurr
05-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by dvdfreak
I think this is goning to share the market of die-cast "model" market,
because that is a huge market, and can make great profit with best quality.
this is a good move for tamiya I think, because these will be the best quality in that market.

and I don't think this is gona have effect on unassembled model market.

That is true, but the problem with these, is that the 1:24 die-cast market isn't very big anymore. The majority of die-casts are either 1:18, or 1:43, and most people who collect them, tend to stick to 1 scale.

dvdfreak
05-15-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by christofurr

That is true, but the problem with these, is that the 1:24 die-cast market isn't very big anymore. The majority of die-casts are either 1:18, or 1:43, and most people who collect them, tend to stick to 1 scale.

nod, scale will be a problem for these,
but imagin the quality, if it is limited in number, it will be a good collection.

integra818
05-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Buying one of those is like buying a painting and putting your name at the bottom. Nice painting, but you did'nt paint it.

christofurr
05-15-2003, 10:30 PM

but imagin the quality, if it is limited in number, it will be a good collection.

I think these are likely to be mass-produced, which means the quality won't be anywhere near what an expirenced modeller can produce.

jimbob
05-16-2003, 08:23 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think these are likely to be mass-produced, which means the quality won't be anywhere near what an expirenced modeller can produce.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree those bodies dont even look like they have paint on?
Look at the porsche looks like decals over white plastic?
Not my cup of T - finishing is what modelings all about IMO

JIM

MPWR
05-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Naw, they'll definately be painted, with Tamiya lacquer. But, the mold lines will still be present (they definately haven't hired a dozen guys to sit in the factory and sand them all off!) The markings won't be stickers or waterslide, but will be printed on in ink. Should look pretty slick. This is the same thing Dragon and Revell Germany did a few years back.

Realisticly, nobody who posts on this board is in the market Tamiya is shooting for. Really, this is an attempt to open up a crossover market- Say the guy who loves model cars, but has never built one- (oh, man, there's NO WAY I can make one that'll look as good as the one on the box!), who's just always bought diecasts. So he see's this at the hobby shop, he can see the body already painted (and he dosn't CARE about mold lines, cuz he doesn't yet know what they are!) So he knows he can take it home and build it, and when it's done it'll sit on his shelf and not have the half inch thick drippy orange peel paint job that would remind him never to try another car model. Yeah, the rest of us may sneer at it, but anyone who buys one has entered our hobby- always a good thing.

PatR
05-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Haven't seen them in North America [yet], but it seems that's where the market is going.
Pre-finished bodies :( :( :(

Add your comment to this topic!