Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Grand Prix Tranny Sluggish

rdsibley
08-21-2010, 11:06 AM
A few years ago the tranny was replaced with a reman. Afterwards and since then, it seems i have to go way down on the pedal to downshift and when it does there is not much there. The car can barely get out of its own way, I have to pretty much floor it to do anything, and that still isn't much. I didn't worry too much about it cause I didn't think I would be keeping it this long. But the car still runs great and the shifting is good, just no acceleration.
Could this be an external adjustment issue or something inside?

Thanks
Dave

tblake
08-22-2010, 09:58 AM
It could be aly number of things. Pull the vacuum line off that goes to the trans. It should come off the Upper intake on the drivers side front. Check to make sure it doesn't have trans fluid in it.

Also check the throttle boost cable that goes from the throttle body to the top of the trans. Make sure its not broken, and there is an adjustment on this cable you can play with a little.

rdsibley
08-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks blake,
A couple of things:
First, I assume if there is fluid in that line the vaccum modulator is bad.
Next I found a rubber line coming off the top of the trans right below the throttle body. It was going to nothing. Maybe a vent?
And I see no cable going to the trans from the throttle.
I will look into the vaccum line when the engine cools a little later.

rdsibley
08-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Ok, there was no fluid in the vaccum line.

BTW, I just did a fluid/filter change, issue still exists. I only suspect the tranny because this started when it was replaced. Otherwise, there are no other symptoms. The engine idles and runs very smooth, shifting is not hard and does not slip. I see alot of people suspecting the cat when power is lost. Wouldn't this show also as engine sputtering or something? It runs like it was designed to run this way because it is always the same, but I remember how it ran before and would like it to run that way again.

rdsibley
08-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry, i guess a little info would be helpful.
It is a 3.1L, 4T60-E trans, 100k miles. Tranny was replaced at about 75k.

tblake
08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't know, if I were you, I'd probably have the cat converter checked out. Your symptoms are those of a plugged cat. (idles fine, but wont pick up speed). Other than that, check fuel pressure also.

Add your comment to this topic!