Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mate Engine to Trans

Jmrec100
08-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm putting in another engine since the oil shop who changed my oil did me the fine service of BLOWING UP MY ENGINE ! Anyway, that's done. I have another engine. I have the old one out and am separating the trans and engine so I see how it goes together. But I need some advice.
Here's picture of the engine and trans as it was shipped. So far, I've been pulling off parts like starter , alternator etc to install on the replacement engine. I did put in a new oil seal so at least that should be good. Next will be a new oil pump. And new heater hose.
Its a used engine and transmission from a car with 60,000 miles on it. So now its a dumb question but I have to ask. Is that the torque converter I see in the picture? And is there something else I need to install? When I separate the old trans and engine, I know I'll see for sure. What should I be aware of. Haynes manual doesn't really tell me or show me what the torque converter looks like. And as far as alignment, how do I do that? All the white is white out I used to mark location when I replaced the oil seal.

Airjer_
08-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Make sure the torque converter is pushed all the way into the trans. After the motor and trans are bolted together you be able to spin the torque converter by hand to line up the holes.

Jmrec100
08-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks. I appreciate your timing of the response. I'm mating them now. I looked at the old engine-trans. Seems have to do as you say. Then bolt them together thru to bottom opening. Snug fit. But it works. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!