Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake pressure switch, do they go by another name? trying to find one

jacobbones
08-20-2010, 12:12 AM
My sister has a 1999 windstar and couple days ago her speedometer stopped working, and said her abs light has been on for a while.

I checked the fuses and the #10 was blown, and keeps blowing. checked all fuses and swapped around relays to see if that was cause for speedometer as im not a mechanic so was trying my luck.

I looked around online and found alot of people having same problem, with the cause being the oil pressure switch. I was planning on replacing that for her to see if that does it. I checked around online at autozone, advance autoparts, napa etc... to find it to see where It was in-stock but my searches came up empty.

I found an oil pressure switch that looks like it, but Im not sure if the brake switch is called something else or if it can only be purchased through the dealer or what.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

wiswind
08-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Go to the dealership near you.
There is a RECALL and FORD should replace this switch for FREE.
Even if you had to pay for it, it is cheap.
I do NOT see this part listed on the AutoZone website for the 1999 windstar, the oil pressure switch is the one for the motor oil, not the brakes.

Here is a link that shows the location of the brake pressure switch on my '99.
This picture is taken with the air filter box and big flex hose that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body removed.
You can see that the switch is mounted on the bottom of the master cylinder.
I STRONGLY recommend that you unplug this switch......until you can buy a replacement one.
The only problem you will have with this switch unplugged is that your cruise control will not work.....which I am guessing it does not work now with that fuse blown.
Unplugging the switch will take care of the fire hazard of the defective switch.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1345053698011220610vMUSlZ

old89lsc
08-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Like Wiswind stated, take it to the dealership, they will replace the part for free.

If you want to do it yourself and pay the $25 or so but avoid the hassle of taking it to the dealer, I think that it is called the speed control deactivation switch. There are two parts, the switch and a new wire harness. It is a dealer part, and if you tell them its the pressure switch for the brakes that is recalled, I am sure they will be able to figure out the part number and tell you the price.

I recently had mine replaced at a L-M dealer when I noticed that it was leaking. (I stupidly waited too long).

Add your comment to this topic!