Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Villager stalls out in the sun and heat

NinaNautica
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a 1995 Villager that stalls out only after driving it for an hour or more, and it seems to only do this in the heat--which also means usually in the sun. You can let it sit for about 15 or 20 minutes and then the car will run just fine for another hour...maybe more (at least that has worked for me so far). I've read other posts and plenty of other things online saying that the fuel pump is probably bad, but my dear mechanic is so certain the problem is not the fuel pump that he refuses to replace it.

I'm getting close to replacing the fuel pump even though it will be very expensive and may not solve my problem, but before I do I would like to know... Could the fuel pump really be the problem even though the car runs fine for the first hour or so? Would distance/time affect the fuel pump? And could the fuel pump be the problem even though it seems to recuperate with just 15-20 minutes of rest? Same questions go for the fuel pressure regulator, though I've heard that regulators rarely go bad.

Basically, can the fuel pump or regulator be affected by heat, time/distance, and rest(perhaps cooling down)?

And of course any other suggestions are more than welcome! (But I don't think there's anything you can tell me that I haven't already heard or read!)

tempfixit
08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Before replacing fuel pump hook up a fuel pressure tester after the fuel filter and monitor the pressure ( tape tester to windshield wiper and drive ). Have you removed the hose from fuel pressure regulator to see if gas is in the vaccum hose, if so replace regulator. Can you hear the fuel pump run after it dies??? (turn igniton switch on, fuel pump should run for 5 seconds then shut off)

Seriously thou I would remove the distributor cap, rotor and cover over optical sensor (camshaft sensor) and check for brown dust on the sensor. If dust is present the distributot shaft bearing is bad and distributor needs to be replaced, also if optical sensor is bad distibutor needs to be replaced. You may want to get a used distrbutor from a salvage yard. When it dies do you have spark????

How many miles on vehicle???

Yes a fuel pump can cool down and work Again.

segundo__sombra
08-22-2010, 01:51 AM
I praise the posting you have revealed since I have exact same problem with exact same car. However, my fuel pump, was replaced a few months ago. My mechanic, refuse to accept the notion that the fuel pump is the culprit of stalling after one hour or so of driving under the las vegas sun.
He stated this based on the fact that the engine still gets gas, and wants to start, just does not hold the idle when hot.

I had him replace the thermostat last night, and the new thermostat enables the car to run over one hour under the sun, from about 20 minutes for stalling and waiting, previous to the switch.(and then is like nothing ever happened for another period of time) Nightwise, is a beautiful ride.

My suspect right now is the temperature sensor.. not the fuel pump.

Now, which of the sensors? I beleive it has three.

If you have been able to solve the problem I would like to know if you would be so kind to share what have you found out, and what the fix was. Is not, and if you still have the problem, we can share insights as to what are new developements in this particular and odd problem.

Wide_Track
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I hesitated in posting since not sure if same problem:

Before replacing the distributor (I actually considered this as well), try removing the dust. I cleaned the dust in the optical sensor area back in 2007, no problem since.

FYI:

Similar problem several years ago…depending on the outside temperature…could go 30-60 miles without any problem…then it would hesitate, buck and stall. I had to allow the van to sit (i.e. cooling off, rest?) for a period of time before it was drivable again.

Tested many areas and replaced a few questionable parts. During that period, replaced the fuel pump (check valve problem). No luck, improved performance with problem still existing.

It has been several years here how I removed the dust:

I removed the distributor cap, rotor and cover over the camshaft sensor area. Using a portable vacuum, I carefully removed as much dust as possible (~ an inch away). Next I taped a drinking straw to the opening end of the extension attachment of vacuum and again carefully vacuum (much closer). Using air (I used a portable air compressor) blow the area for the remaining dust (I also used a rag to help from migrating the dust further into the distributor). I finish up with the straw vacuum setup, especially concentrating around the optical sensor. Reassembled distributor.

Hope this helps

Wide Track

Add your comment to this topic!