Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

chronic leaking from valve cover gasket

skate1968
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Once again i have a leaking valve cover gasket [which, by itself, is a small problem hardly meriting attention]. And as it's leaking right in front it's an oil leak that's easy to find. Even for a non mechanic like myself.

But this is at least the fourth time that this has happened in five years!! Why??

It's happened with both dealer/OEM gasket kits AND Non OEM gasket kits

On two occasions, good mechanics told me that the oil leak could NOT be from the Valve Cover Gasket as they had just recently replaced it!

It's my conclusion that this MUST be caused by a defect or imperfection on the metal parts -- the valve cover itself or the part of the engine that it sits on.

your thoughts?

Airjer_
08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Get yourself a tube of grey RTV from Volkswagen. Clean all the parts thoroughly including the sealing surface on the head. Install the new gasket on the valve cover. Put a thin even bead of RTV either on the gasket or around the head where the gasket makes contact. Sometimes its easier to put it on the gasket. Install the valve cover. Replace the PCV valve and Let sit overnight.

I had a Saturn with so much blow by that it would push the new gasket out of the valve cover. I did this and it has not leaked a drop since. Its been 3 years so far.

The key is the Volkswagon RTV. This stuff will seal anything to anything!

Add your comment to this topic!