Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 tahoe died in reverse..will crank but not start

99chv
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
tahoe drove fine all day,,after i started it and put in reverse it died..almost like it ran out of gas. Put gas in it and still it wont start.starter spray in carb will let engine start but not keep running. fuel pump sounds like its working and fuel filter and lines are not clogged. all fuses are good...i need to take to a mechanic? can someone help a lady out before i go in to get robbed? :) just need some more input, thx

777stickman
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Welcome to AF. From reading your post I would suspect the fuel pump. Just because you can hear it run doesn't mean it's putting out the needed pressure. So, that needs to be checked with a good pressure gauge. If it does turn out to be the pump, spend the bucks, and replace it with a Delphi/AC Delco pump that is specific to your VIN. Most other brands have a somewhat shorter life span.

If you need more info, please specify engine size.

Good luck.

j cAT
08-19-2010, 09:17 PM
tahoe drove fine all day,,after i started it and put in reverse it died..almost like it ran out of gas. Put gas in it and still it wont start.starter spray in carb will let engine start but not keep running. fuel pump sounds like its working and fuel filter and lines are not clogged. all fuses are good...i need to take to a mechanic? can someone help a lady out before i go in to get robbed? :) just need some more input, thx

the reason you need to take this to a repair shop is because this model year does not have a carb. SO ! it would be best to have a person with some knowledge repair this.

most likely the fuel pump is not putting out the correct pressure. operating with less than 1/4 tank of fuel overheats/destroys the fuel pump ..110deg your area lots of heat .. always check for proper pressure BEFORE replacing parts...if needed use a DELPHI PUMP !

Add your comment to this topic!