Water Under Front Passenger Floor Mat After Hard Rain

hillre
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Hello ALL,

I've a 2000 Monte Carlo with a 3.4 engine with 96000 miles. Seem to be having problem with water coming inside vehicle during hard rain. The sun roof has leak since purchasing the car in 2008 from dealer. I took it back to them for repair but the sunroof still leaked during a hard rain so I went to Auto Zone to get some windshield stop leak (silicone) to put around the edges of the sun roof. I think I fixed the leak from the sunroof but I"m still finding some water under the front passenger floor mat. Could this be the windshield leaking? The water seems to be entering at the very front portion of the carpert beneath the dash area. It isn't the heater core for my heat is fine (no smell of antifreeze noted) and the floor is only wet after a hard rain. If it's the windshield, does it mean that the windshield needs to be resealed? There are no visible cracks in the windshield and the vehicle hasn't been wrecked. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions from anyone whom has had a leak such as this before. Thanks for taking time to read this thread and or respond to it. Take Care! Hope to hear from someone very soon. Hopefully the insurance will cover the cost for having the windshield resealed if that's the problem. Or could it still be a leaking sunroof. By the way, the sunroof isn't operational! Decided not to have it fixed due to dealer requesting additional $1000 to repair it.

BullShifter
08-14-2010, 09:21 AM
First thing I would check is the cabin filter. It's right under the passenger side wiper blade. You need removed a few clips, weather strip, and the washer fluid hose. You will see either a cabin filter or no cabin filter. Either way there should be black piece about 10" that directs water away from the opening.

hillre
08-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info! I have never heard of a cabin filter nor know what is the purpose of it. I will definitely take a look at it. Thanks for the info. Will let you know what I find out. By the way, I was hearing some sort of noise on the passenger side of vehicle yesterday while driving down the road. Seems like it was coming from the top of the dash board on passenger side of vehicle. Seems like kept hearing it everytime I ran across bumps in the road.

First thing I would check is the cabin filter. It's right under the passenger side wiper blade. You need removed a few clips, weather strip, and the washer fluid hose. You will see either a cabin filter or no cabin filter. Either way there should be black piece about 10" that directs water away from the opening.

hillre
08-15-2010, 03:06 PM
FYI,

I found that there is no cabin filter but I'm not sure if there is suppose to be one. I did find the place where the water is entering the inside of the vehicle which is some sort of opening that's like 2-3 inches in diameter or so; I've no idea why GM would design the vehicle like this. Is there suppose to be some sort of plug in this hole? The only black piece i see looks like a piece of weatherstrip that runs along the base of the windshield or piece of frame located at base of the windshield. Suppose I need to know what is suppose be in this hole where the water is entering the vehicle for there isn't anything there. Thanks again!

BullShifter
08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Some cars came with cabin fitlers and some didn't. GM designed it like that because it's GM, they just don't make sense period. The hole your talking about is the blower motor, I beleive. There should be a sort of weather stripping redirecting the water away from that hole.

hillre
08-16-2010, 09:36 AM
The hold that i'm referring to isn't the blower motor hole; i can see the blower motor on the other end. This hold is like near the fender and the blower motor is on the other end of the weatherstrip that you mentioned. The weatherstrip isn't keeping the water from going into this hole that i see. This hole is directly under the weatherstrip near the fender. I'm assuming some sort of plug should go into this hole. I was on the GM parts website looking at schematics and ran across some part referred to as a water deflector but i'm not sure what is suppose to be in this hole. Guess i will have to go to a junk yard to a similar vehicle.

Thanks again

Some cars came with cabin fitlers and some didn't. GM designed it like that because it's GM, they just don't make sense period. The hole your talking about is the blower motor, I beleive. There should be a sort of weather stripping redirecting the water away from that hole.

manicmechanix
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Usually a cabin filter seals into the hole. The water deflector/cowl seals againat the windshield and keeps water from pouring down on the filter/hole. You probably need a new water deflector assembly to seal the water out.

hillre
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info...............I took the cheap route and chose to put silicone at the edge of the cowl; Also, I removed the dried out seal beneath the cowl and replaced it with some two sided tape. So far, no water after testing it. Suppose I will know if I really fixed it after the next hard rain...oh oh:)). I plan to trade mine ASAP...........too many issues. I will never buy another Monte Carlo.

Usually a cabin filter seals into the hole. The water deflector/cowl seals againat the windshield and keeps water from pouring down on the filter/hole. You probably need a new water deflector assembly to seal the water out.

BullShifter
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Test out your repair with a hose....

hillre
08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I did and didn't find any water coming in as of yet; I will double check after letting vehicle sat outside during a hard rain. Thanks..........have a good weekend..............

Test out your repair with a hose....

BullShifter
08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
We just had a Monte Carlo come for water on the passenger side floor. All the cabin filter water deflector stuff was in place. That hole your talking about is a drain hole for the water that gets in the cowling. That should be left open. I took a pictures and I think it's what your talking about.
http://sn142w.snt142.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=65ead9a8-af9e-11df-92cb-001e0bcb3590&Aux=14|0|8CD11C2505F79F0||0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

Add your comment to this topic!