Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clunking on right during sharp left turns

Paulk501
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
when I have the wheel almost all the way turned left. I hear a clunking/clacking coming from the right side of the car. I'm not sure what is causeing the noise yet. any ideas?

I was thinking the joint(s) on the drive shaft. but I am unsure.

Airjer_
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Lower control arm bushings, stabilizer bar, stabilizer links, lower ball joint, strut bearing

Paulk501
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
k ill take a peek under there. thanks

inafogg
08-13-2010, 01:41 PM
hi paul,while your checking front end look at cv joints & boots it sounds like it
could be a cv going bad as you mentioned, boot wears/dry rots & joint gets contamiated with road debri dirt sand salt etc
good luck

Paulk501
08-13-2010, 01:56 PM
im kinda stumped. the sound is more of just a loud tick when i listen to it better. seems to be comeing from the front right side when making a sharp left turn. the boots look good. I tryed shakeing them. they seemed tight. the car drives good. its only the noise.

it only makes it when rolling forward. the car does not need to be in gear. it will not make the noise when going in reverse.

rkvons
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
im kinda stumped. the sound is more of just a loud tick when i listen to it better. seems to be comeing from the front right side when making a sharp left turn. the boots look good. I tryed shakeing them. they seemed tight. the car drives good. its only the noise.

it only makes it when rolling forward. the car does not need to be in gear. it will not make the noise when going in reverse.
Does it come and go? I'd think about a bad hub assembly.

Paulk501
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
so i had the CV shaft replaced and the noises went away for about 300 miles. however they are back and this time clicking more at even less sharp left turns.

im stumped... what could it be.

rkvons
09-09-2010, 12:34 PM
so i had the CV shaft replaced and the noises went away for about 300 miles. however they are back and this time clicking more at even less sharp left turns.

im stumped... what could it be.

What is the condition of your rotors? I had a funny clicking and squeaking noise on my front right wheel and finally decided to redo the brakes because they were badly pitted and corroded. They were only wearing in a small part of the rotor area. Anyway, when I went to take the wheel off, the lug nuts were not tight enough. After doing the job and buttoning up everything, I wound up snapping a stud off. Evidently it weakened from not being tight. After replacing that, it is quiet again. By the way, it clunked real loud during turns and I was sure that I was going to be replacing the CV joint.

richtazz
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I would say you need a new hub bearing. When you swapped the cv axle, you retorqued the hub bearing, but since it's damaged it only stayed quiet for a short length of time.

Paulk501
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I would say you need a new hub bearing. When you swapped the cv axle, you retorqued the hub bearing, but since it's damaged it only stayed quiet for a short length of time.

ive replaced the bearing last night and all the issues i was having seem to have gone away!

thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!