Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Grand Prix GT 2 door 144k with water on the pass floorboard

fritcr
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I water on the floorboard on the passenger side. A LOT of water. I have already bought the redesigned thing for the out under the windshield. I did take that all apart just make sure all is ok with it. I can't see anything wrong and can't see that it has been leaking there. I pulled the carpet all up and have had a fan on it for a week trying to dry it out. It is mostly dry now but I still don't know where it is coming from. I temped to say the ac but I can stick a piece of weed wacker line in the hole on the firewall and there does not seem to be a clog. It drains and runs down the outside of the firewall and onto the floor. Does anyone have any other ideas? The foam under the carpet was completely soaked. I have squished it out as best I can and it is mostly dry now but i still have it pulled up and have can's sitting under it so it can breathe.
Rob

fritcr
08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I did a little more searching after my post and see someone talking about an elbow on the ac drain tube? Can someone verify that? My car does NOT have this elbow on it. Can that cause a problem?

fritcr
08-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I didn't know what to do since there was not a response so I put a hose over that vent and directed it down under the car. Is that ok to do that? It does not seemed to be clogged. I stuck a smaller hose up in there and wiggled it all around and it don't seem to have anything in there.

olopezm
08-15-2010, 03:47 PM
As far as I remember mine doesn't has that elbow I'm not an expert but I don't think there is any problem if you put a hose, just make sure the hose DOES points downward, about your carpet being wet, is your coolant level OK? I'm asking this because my '97 GP had the same issue, the carpet had a lot of water on both driver and passenger's side (the carpet was greenishin color), I took a look to the coolant level and it was empty. The problem was my heater core had a leak and all of the coolant was leaking into the car. Since some people still use water instead of antifreeze (might be your case) all of the water you found inside your car might come from the coolant system.

richtazz
08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
does your car have a sunroof?

fritcr
08-16-2010, 12:58 PM
It is definatly NOT antifreeze and no it don't have a sunsroof either.
I had to actually sqwish the water out of the foam rubber under the carpet on the floor and it was just clear water. My car has green antifreeze in it now.

DarkTint
08-16-2010, 01:06 PM
My 99 does the same thing, but only when it rains really hard. It's definitely something not draining correctly but I haven't figured it out either. For the time being I just got some rubber floor mats with deep grooves so the water is not able to get on the floorboard. Good luck and be sure to let us know if you figure it out!

richtazz
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
When the water only comes in when it rains, the issue is the HVAC intake seal has went bad. It's located under the hood, beneath the plastic cover at the base of the windshield. There is a rubber seal under this cover, and when it fails, it allows rain water into the HVAC system. If it doesn't happen when it rains, then it is a blocked evaporator core condensation drain, which is essentially the rubber elbow hose the OP is talking about. Fritcr, you may have to remove the blower motor from inside the car, and get your hand up in the HVAC housing to see if there is debris blocking the water from getting out the drain. If there is debris, install a cabin air filter for a like-year Buick Regal. It is accessed through the cover mentioned above that allows rain water in. For whatever reason, Grand Prix's do not come factory with cabin air filters, even though they share the same HVAC box the Regals have which do come factory with them.

Add your comment to this topic!