Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater/blower runs with key off

TRIK-56
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I have two problems and they may be related I don't know.

Last night the battery went belly up in my wifes 2000 Grand Prix GT.
After replacing the battery today I found the remote start/lock/unlock won't work with the key fob. It was working fine up until then.

Second problem, I noticed today the heater/AC blower stays on even after the key is turned off and removed. The only way to get it stopped is to turn it off with the heater/AC blower knob. This isn't normal is it? This could be what ran the battery down last night but it was an old battery too.

Any ideas if these two problems are related and/or a remedy for them?
Thanks!

olopezm
08-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Have you tried reprogramming the key fob? There is a write up on how to reprogram each transmitter on the Tips and maintenance subforum, you should give it a try.

About the blower, maybe you have a bad switch have you tried to turn the key switch without the key to see if it moves and the blower turns off?

richtazz
08-13-2010, 08:51 AM
does your car have the automatic climate control, or just manual a/c controls?

TRIK-56
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replys.
It turns out the battery going dead caused both my problems to occur.
Problem was solved and got things working again like they should by unhooking the neg. battery cable a few times until there was no spark at the cable when it was hooked up again.
I guess this cleared up all the garbage the computer had got by the battery going dead.
So now the remote works again and the blower/ac goes off like it should when you shut the car off.
I don't know what the deal is with batterys these days. You get absolutely NO warning they are about to die. They just go belly up suddenly and thats IT!
Use to the starter would begin turning slower and slower and you had an idea the battery needed replaced but now you can get stranded anywhere with no warning at all. Kind of frustrating.

Add your comment to this topic!