Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Souping up the single overhead cam 4.6L

Calplaya
08-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and found that as i was browsing th forums alot of you seem quite knowledgeable about alot of different things, but i couldnt seem to find any info on how to soup up a single overhead cam 4.6L V8 like the ones in these later TCs. Ive got a 1998 TC that i just bought and its got the high compression dual/single exhaust engine in her. the thing is im on a pretty tight budget, but i want the most from this engine possible. right now its only rated at 205HP and 280 Ft lb trq. Id like to see those numbers closer to the 325 bench, if not one day well over 400. Ive decided down the road il probly swap out the suspension with interceptor parts to handle that extra power, and it seems like the cheapest move, will probably put a 9 inch under her one day too, and a shift kit in the tranny. right now this thing is pristine and a great runner, but like i said, i want more power from her. ive only owned GM vehicles prior to this purchase, and none of them were overhead cam, so im in new territory here. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All2kool
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and found that as i was browsing th forums alot of you seem quite knowledgeable about alot of different things, but i couldnt seem to find any info on how to soup up a single overhead cam 4.6L V8 like the ones in these later TCs. Ive got a 1998 TC that i just bought and its got the high compression dual/single exhaust engine in her. the thing is im on a pretty tight budget, but i want the most from this engine possible. right now its only rated at 205HP and 280 Ft lb trq. Id like to see those numbers closer to the 325 bench, if not one day well over 400. Ive decided down the road il probly swap out the suspension with interceptor parts to handle that extra power, and it seems like the cheapest move, will probably put a 9 inch under her one day too, and a shift kit in the tranny. right now this thing is pristine and a great runner, but like i said, i want more power from her. ive only owned GM vehicles prior to this purchase, and none of them were overhead cam, so im in new territory here. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have a Lincoln Town Car, not a Mustang or Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. These cars are 2-ton rolling Barcaloungers, not hot rods. Attempting to make them into anything as you suggest will not turn out good.

Trade it for a Mustang or CVPI, you will be happier.

Blue)(Fusion
08-12-2010, 08:59 AM
What's your budget? If it's not in he quadruple digits, forget about it.

Upgrade to a 2.25" mandrel bent dual exhuast catback system with H-pipe and Magnaflow or similar mufflers. Good for about 15HP/TQ.

To actually, get the desired HP ranges, you will need to drop in a pair of Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads ($2k), Stainless Works long tube headers ($1.2-1.8k depending on just headers or opt for high flow cats too), high flow fuel pump and injectors, 80mm MAF, a computer tune ($400 and up), and finally either nitrous or a supercharger ($500-several thousand).

If you really have a tight budget and you realized that HP does not come cheap than get the bare minimum which really does make a difference in performance:
The MZT and dual exhaust.
Marauder Airbox & 80mm MAF
Zip tube from a 2004 CVPI
Tune

And for your shift kit, perform the J-mod. It is easy to do if you can follow instructions and well worth it. If you want to keep normal driving shifts from being noticeably jerky, swap the lower 1-2 accumulator spring for a softer spring from a Mustang instead of just removing it. I'll keep mine removed, though cause I love barking my tires on the 1-2 shift when I go WOT :D

My Blue Oval Chips tune is awesome. The shift strategy and fuel and spark table improvements really wake my Marquis up and would do the same for you. It's made specifically for your car after Lonnie @ BOC gets the info he needs on what's in your car. And later on you can always take it to him, or another dyno place, and extract as much power as possible out of the car.

And a TC vs CVPI isn't that huge of a weight difference. And the sleeper factor is far better when you see a good looking TC that can outgun and outrun most other cars on the road.

Add your comment to this topic!