94 b150 3.9 Replacing power steering pump

bluezuan
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
About a month ago I began noticing a gradual hardening of the power steering , now its pretty stiff but not if the engine is totally off. I'm assuming the pump is gone.
I looked in the Haynes and Chilton Manual and its not to clear as to where or what component allows me to loosen the belt. I looked at the alternater thinking there was a slide with a pivot bolt and I'm not seeing it there. To the left of that which was replaced not long ago is the automatic adjustment pulley. Any help since I want to do this myself?

One other question? If I get a new pump on and want to bleed any air out of the system it says to add fluid and then turn wheels both ways to work out the air. Do you leave the cap off the power steering pump to do that procedure.

Thanks

alloro
08-12-2010, 01:48 AM
To the left of that which was replaced not long ago is the automatic adjustment pulley.

Do you leave the cap off the power steering pump to do that procedure.

You grab the center bolt of the belt tensioner pulley with a socket and long ratchet and pull it over until you loosen the belt enough the slip it off one of the other pulleys.

The cap can be on or off for the bleeding procedure, it doesn't matter either way.

Add your comment to this topic!