Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote Start for the GTP

tblake
08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
So I think I better get off my lazy butt and get a remote starter put in the GTP before wintertime so I dont think back in negative winter temps and wonder why I didn't do it.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with this unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Add-Auto-Remote-Car-Starter-Ultra-Start-1155-U1155TL-/110446971417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I have installed Ultra brand before and they are pretty good quality and to date have not had any issues or come-backs.

This particular unit is an add-on unit meaning you use your factory keyless entry remote. Reason I like the add-on units is because of the less amount of wires (ease of installation), plus they are cheaper and I am not a fan of aftermarket looking remotes. They tend to look like childs toys more than car keys.

The only thing I think may be an issue is that there is a wire on this unit you hook up to a "trigger" which sets off the remote start feature. Where would I hook this wire to on the GTP so that I could trigger remote start with my remote?

I was thinking. I could hook it up to the door lock circuit. Only problem then is if someone pushes the door lock button inside the car, the car will "start". Then I thought if I hook this trigger wire to the horn output from the BCM. Essentially I could press the lock button on my keypad to honk the horn and the car would start. Good idea, right? Then I thought what happens if the car alarm goes off with the remote start hooked up this way? The car starts?

My only possible solution was to take the posative door lock output from the BCM, hook it to the coil side of a relay. Then take the negative horn output from the BCM and connect it to the opposite side of this relay. Essentially this would allow me to trigger the remote starter only when the horn is honked and doors are locked at the same time. ie (pushing the lock button on the keypad twice). This way eliminates virtually all issues with false starts. When is someone ever going to honk the horn and lock the doors at the same time?

Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks!

doctorhrdware
08-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Well that is one thing that I am not going to have to worry about. I am going to move south. Maybe Tennessee or Kentucky up in the mountains. The average winter temperature is 32 degrees. Been down south looking at places with 25 plus acres of land. So that is why I have not been on lately. That is good logical thinking, I think that is the way to go if you want the easiest way to go.

jakegday
08-12-2010, 06:38 AM
mine has an option to start when i press the "door lock" button 3 times in less then 5 seconds.. unless your dead set on this exact remote starter, maybe you could find another one similar to mine

tblake
08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Ok sounds good. I am not dead set on any certain thing in particular. I'd just like the add on feature. I will have to do some research. What brand is your jakegday?

GregGP
08-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Most generally, these remote start units interact with the car's own computer system. If there is a momentary 'bump' from the horn, lights, or any other electrical component, the car will not just start. The remote start system is designed to only start with the proper 'procedure'. It will not only actuate the starter, but it will turn on your fuel injectors, fuel pump, ect.. Really, you don't have to worry about someone just ramdomly hitting the horn to start your car. In short, unless the remote start module gets a signal from your remote, which enables all of the necessary systems, you don't have to worry. Also, most of these systems will kill the engine if someone tries to drive off with the car; requiring that the key be in the ignition when they hit the brake, which is obviously required when shifting from park.

tblake
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
MAF sensor went out in the GTP yesterday, so Remote start may have to be put on the back-burner for now unfortunatly.

ponchonutty
11-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Did you ever do the remote starter? The only thing I don't like about using the OEM keyfobs is that you will have to be with in 50' to use the remote starter. This shouldn't be a problem at your home but anywhere else the remote starter will be just about useless because you will have to rely on the distance your keyless entry works.

Yes, cheap remote starters have funky looking keyfobs but not all of them. Also, the wiring difference between one with and one with out it's own keyless entry is usually only 2 to 4 extra wires at best.

BNaylor
11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
The only thing I don't like about using the OEM keyfobs is that you will have to be with in 50' to use the remote starter.

GM cured that on later year/generation Grand Prixs. The OEM keyfob for my '08 GXP factory remote start is good for 300+ feet. I've tested it at over 500 feet. :grinyes:

tblake
11-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Yep, I went with a scytec add-on starter. I read good reviews about scytec and their unit was half the price of the ultra. Total for parts and install accessories was about 100.00. Took a couple hours one night and a couple hours the next day.

I aslo did a short writeup.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1048881

You are right though. Distance sucks from the factory fob, but leaving work I can step outside the door, start the car, and it will be nice and warm when I get in it ten minute later. (I'm spoiled)

Bob, my next car will have one from the factory.

ponchonutty
11-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Yes the OEM remote starters are nice but they fall short with what the aftermarket segment has to offer. My dealers like to add my remote starters to those cars even if they have OEM remote start because you can get up to a mile worth of range, extended run time, ability to turn on heated seats and/or rear defrost, and the fact you can remote start it more than 2 times with out having to start it with the key. Then, for a little more $$ you can plug in a module and use your smartphone to activate, unlock, lock, or just monitor your car! All of this is usually in tune to the price of the OEM remote starters on new cars but instead of getting a 3 year warranty you get a lifetime warrany.

tblake
11-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Where is your shop located again?????

Thats what I'm getting for my next car.

BNaylor
11-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Reminds me of that I'd walk a mile for Camel cigarettes commercial in the old days. :lol: One mile away remote start capability? Crazy.

doctorhrdware
11-17-2010, 03:45 AM
I'd would worry that the car would get jacked. Unless it had some good safety features. Tim that was a very good write up on the remote start installation. I just finished reading it. Just a FYI, it does not speed the pulse up, but what is does is shortens the pulse. The choice for the capacitor on the voltage was a very good choice. It is better to get a higher voltage cap then to get the exact voltage, since car voltages can fluctuates.

ponchonutty
11-17-2010, 05:43 AM
Where is your shop located again?????

Thats what I'm getting for my next car.

I'm in NW Ohio

ponchonutty
11-17-2010, 05:47 AM
I'd would worry that the car would get jacked. Unless it had some good safety features. Tim that was a very good write up on the remote start installation. I just finished reading it. Just a FYI, it does not speed the pulse up, but what is does is shortens the pulse. The choice for the capacitor on the voltage was a very good choice. It is better to get a higher voltage cap then to get the exact voltage, since car voltages can fluctuates.

Doesn't matter what saftey measures you have on ANYTHING because if someone wants it bad enough, they will either end up with it or ruin it to the point no one wants it. Not sure how others get around anti-theft and the like devices on vehicles but I set them up only to bypass them when the RS is activated. The steering wheel is still locked and if they press the brake pedal with out the key in the ignition it shuts off. If coupled with an alarm/remote starter the alarm will go off if a door is opened.

doctorhrdware
11-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Doesn't matter what saftey measures you have on ANYTHING because if someone wants it bad enough, they will either end up with it or ruin it to the point no one wants it. Not sure how others get around anti-theft and the like devices on vehicles but I set them up only to bypass them when the RS is activated. The steering wheel is still locked and if they press the brake pedal with out the key in the ignition it shuts off. If coupled with an alarm/remote starter the alarm will go off if a door is opened.

Yes that is so true.

Add your comment to this topic!