Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 V6 Mustang ticking when accelerating

lookforthesignals
08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
hello. thanks for reading / helping. i have a '99 Mustang LS V6. it has been ticking when accelerating. it sounds like its coming from the front of the engine area, but i cant tell on what side. when driving at a consistent speed, no matter how fast, it does not tick. only when i take off from a stop, or when i have to accelerate to pass people on the freeway.

im planning on a trip to vegas from california. about 275 miles each way. is there anything i can do for a quick fix- or do you think its too far of a drive (i dont want to blow my engine).

any advice would be great. thanks again for the help!

Blue)(Fusion
08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Could be timing chain tensioners if it's coming from the front engine cover.

Does it sound like a a bunch of marbles being shaken in the engine? That would indicate engine knock which can be damaging.

lookforthesignals
08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
it sounds more like higher pitched tick. almost like you can hear the pistons moving up and down. i can only tell that i am hearing it from under the hood. i thought it was an oil issue, and i changed the oil and the oil filter and air filter, but it didnt help much.

the noise speeds up when i get my rmps up, but when i hold at 2 there isnt any ticking noise.

Add your comment to this topic!