Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vibration during acceleration

buffercat
08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a 2002 Lesabre, it has started to vibrate when I slowly accelerate in high gear. Could this be a sign of the transmission going, mount or am I way off. It will do this even when I'm on the highway and I slowly speed up at 60 mph in O/D.

imidazol97
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I have a 2002 Lesabre, it has started to vibrate when I slowly accelerate in high gear. Could this be a sign of the transmission going, mount or am I way off. It will do this even when I'm on the highway and I slowly speed up at 60 mph in O/D.

There's more info needed? How many miles are on the car?

When were the plugs and wires changed?

What brands were used?

Has any other work been done to the car recently?

Where does the vibration seem to be? In the steering wheel? Feel it on the driver's floor? In the seat?

polarzak
08-11-2010, 05:55 AM
If it is a real vibration, it could simply be a wheel balance issue. There are also many posts on this site, including my own, where people thought the vibration was a transmission problem, only to have the problem rectified with a change of plugs and wires. My problem sounds similar to yours and thankfully, new plugs and wires fixed it.

buffercat
08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I will check out the brands that I used plugs/ wires where done in December,I did do a drive axle D/S month ago. Seems to be in the seat area.

buffercat
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry about long time in responding, backordered wires and vacation. Anyway pulled plugs which had some burn spots and put new NGK's in as well as new NGK wires, car starts better and idles smoother but still have my vibration issue. Try to be more specific, while slowly accelerating I'm getting a "stutter" for about 3 seconds which feels like drivetrain, you can feel it in the steering wheel. It almost seems to be lugging along and if push the throttle it won't happen. Ideas ??

funiwant
08-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Sorry about long time in responding, backordered wires and vacation. Anyway pulled plugs which had some burn spots and put new NGK's in as well as new NGK wires, car starts better and idles smoother but still have my vibration issue. Try to be more specific, while slowly accelerating I'm getting a "stutter" for about 3 seconds which feels like drivetrain, you can feel it in the steering wheel. It almost seems to be lugging along and if push the throttle it won't happen. Ideas ??
that seems like what my 97 lesabre is doing too, on the interstate going 75 or so with cruise on, when the car accelerates, like going up an incline, the car will start to "shudder". i haven't check my plugs or wires but to me it almost feels like the converter clutch is slipping. when you push the gas pedal, unlocking the conveter, it goes away. any thoughts?

buffercat
08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
That reminds me of a problem I had with old plymouth, I had to disconnect a plug to the convertor and that solved the problem. Do these cars have the same set-up ?

buffercat
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Ok I've run half a can of seafoam through the tranny and put in a new filter, fluid and some conditioner. Seems better, I'll keep you posted with results either way.

buffercat
09-08-2010, 04:12 AM
OK final results where excellent. No more shudder, shifts smooth. There are 2 solenoids in the tranny that can get gummed up, "auto trans control solenoid" and a pressure solenoid. I'm guessing the first is the problem which affects the most. Best I can say is clean, maintenance, and a little conditioner goes a long way. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!