Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about Amsoil products

Black_Blade
08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
A friend of mine mentioned that he could get me some Amsoil for my 2002 Winstar. Apparently with this synthetic oil, you don't have to change your oil as often, therefore you will save money. He gave me these prices:

5W-30xl with filter and flush good for 12000km = $59.45
5W-30 with filter and flush good for 40000km = $69.71
0w-30 with filter and flush good for 56000km = $79.12

Now I would be lucky to maybe get 30,000 km of travel in a year...so do I just go with the 59.45 every 12,000 km? I can't see the need to get the others for I just don't do that much travelling.

Maybe a few opinions from others who use this Amsoil could let me know the best route to go.

JBsOilSales
01-28-2011, 03:45 AM
I would say, if you don't drive the miles, you don't need the product. There is also a new OEM product from AMSOIL that you change at whatever OEM recommends. I personally would either go with the XL or the OE product line.
FOR THE RECORD I AM AN INDEPENDENT AMSOIL DEALER IN PORTLAND, OR. I am not here to sell, just here to answer questions about the product.

wiswind
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
FORD issued a TSB recommending 5W-20 oil for the windstar.
The TSB# is 02-1-9 issued on 01/21/2002
I used it for many miles in my '96 which had MANY miles on it (over 229K miles).
I did not use Amsoil, though I believe it to be a top quality product.
I use Redline, which is another expensive but very good oil.
I am not real big on extended oil change intervals unless you are doing periodic sampling and analyis of your oil.
I have used Blackstone labs for oil analysis.
The issue that I am concerned about is if your lower intake manifold gaskets or your front cover (aka timing cover) gasket leak coolant into the oil.........the longer oil change interval is a LOT more time for the coolant level in the oil to build up and cause serious damage.
These are the gaskets to be concerned about on the 3.8L windstar, the head gaskets are not a real issue after the 1995 model year for the 3.8L motor.

Again, Amsoil's oils and filters have a very solid reputation for being a great product.

Add your comment to this topic!