Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Alero

pcabn
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Ok car would not start. Did the relearn? when you leave the key on until security light quits blinking wait 10 seconds car starts but now Security light is on all the time.

The door locks will operate as I am driving down the road.

When the drivers door is open I hear chimes ding ding ding as if the key is left in...maybe ignition switch?

And the Red Brake light comes on as if the parking brake is set. Any thoughts. Thanks. :screwy:

skeeter123
08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Check the BCM body control module under the glove compartment/passenger side; sometimes either rain-water leak or A/C condensation gets moisture on the connectors to the BCM; corrodes/shorts out various functions. You have to remove the plastic panel on the right hand side under the glove box; the BCM module has three connectors held in place with blue plastic clips. It's usually a 6"x8" black plastic box with the BCM circuit card inside. If you can, take off the connectors and slide the BCM out of its retaining bracket. The two halves of the box come apart pretty easily, then you can inspect the circuit card to see if it's been corroded; Sometimes just cleaning off the corrosion and re-conecting everything clears up the problems. It good to put some dielectric grease on the contacts of the connectors....
Hope this helps.

pcabn
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Well security light went out. But the new issue is doors wont lock with remote. I will check out the BCM soon as possible. Thanks for the reply.

pcabn
08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Finally checked out BCM. It had corrosion on the board and connectors. Can't tell exactly where it is coming from. I used electronic contact cleaner in spray can and a toothbrush very lightly and cleaned off most of corrosion. Sealed the black plastic box so hopefully no more water gets in it. The Brake Light was on due to low brake fluid. Now just have to see why service engine light is on.

skeeter123
08-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Actually, you're in luck; the service engine light being on means that there will be codes stored indicating what else is going wrong. Find someone with a good code reader/scanner and write down the codes that are reported. You can go to autozone/other parts stores and they often will read codes for free; but they usually have the bare-bones readers that don't read all the codes (no ABS or transmission codes, for instance). If its just the SES light, you're probably OK just having them read at the A-Zone.

Add your comment to this topic!