Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition key tumbler issue

expjoe
08-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I have a 2000 GTP w/138,000 miles on it, I am having trouble with my ignition switch sticking in the on position and not allowing me to lock the vehicle. The switch will not return to the off position, I am having to turn the steering wheel from side to side and play with the gear shifter to get it to the off position. The key will come out and the car will start (with the security light on) but I cannot lock the car. The condition is getting worse, where is the problem??:shakehead

BNaylor
08-08-2010, 08:54 AM
With ignition to ON, shifter in PARK and foot on brake press the release knob on the top of the shifter. Do you hear the key release solenoid at the steering column? You should hear it clunk.

expjoe
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
With ignition to ON, shifter in PARK and foot on brake press the release knob on the top of the shifter. Do you hear the key release solenoid at the steering column? You should hear it clunk.
I just tried that and I am not hearing the clunk that I used to hear before, how do I repair this?

tblake
08-08-2010, 06:24 PM
See this thread I started when mine had this issue. Its rather long because I know a lot of us seemed to have the same problem right around the same time, but stick with it because I did a lot of diagnosis, posted my results, and even included pictures and wiring diagrams. Good luck.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=907156

Add your comment to this topic!