Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing chain tensioner replacement

Blue)(Fusion
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm getting ready to tackle my timing chain tensioner and tensioner arm replacement since model years 2000-2003 are plagued by subpar tensioner arms.

Since most of the timing stuff will be cracked open, I figured this will be a great time to upgrade to the 2001+ Performance Improved (PI) cams.

Here's some things I want to check before I order the parts and begin the surgery.

1. I want to make sure I order everything I need at once, since I am buying from an online Ford dealer (much cheaper than the local dealer prices). Here's the list I have, but I am missing some part numbers. Maybe someone can fill them in.

Part Name Part #
--------- ------
Tensioner Left F6AZ-6L266-DA
Tensioner Right F6AZ-6L266-CA
Chain (2) 5W7Z-6268-AA (Only if old ones are worn)
Tensioner Arm Left 1L2Z-6L253-AA
Tensioner Arm Right 1L2Z-6L253-BA
Timing Cover Gasket F1AZ-6020-A
Timing Cover Gasket F1AZ-6020-BB
Timing Cover Gasket F1AZ-6020-Z
Valve Cover Gasket Left ?
Valve Cover Gasket Right ?
Crank Seal F5AZ-6700-A
Crank TTY Bolt F5RZ-6A340-B
Chain Guide Left ?
Chain Guide Right ?2. The PI cams I bought are from a 2003 Crown Victoria and are the bolt-on type. They came with the bolts and washers, but they did NOT come with the cam gears. I have been unable to determine if the cams and cam gears installed in my engine are bolt-on or press-on. If I have press-on I need to also order the bolt-on gears. Together, they're over $60 so I want to make sure I need them before I order them. Does anybody know in what years Ford used the press-on cam gears in the Panther platform?

3. I'm nervous about messing with timing an interference engine. What positions are the crank and cams supposed to be in so I can safely remove the chains and cams? Do I just put the new cams in so the mark on the cam gear is roughly in the same place as before removal and then line the marks up on the chain?

Maybe someone can point me in the direction of some detailed instructions or a video I can refer to?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'm hoping to start this project next week and finish it in a full day.

Add your comment to this topic!