Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Power Problems/Fuel Pump?

Grezo
08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Several months ago I noticed my 1993 Ford Taurus was having some starting issues that would occur once in a blue moon. We chalked it up to the heat of the day keeping it from starting. Later the problem progressed into stalling and not starting afterwards. We took the car to Pepboys and they pulled a code that told us it was the fuel pump. Thinking it was an easy fix we bought the new fuel pump and spent the rest of the day (8 hours) getting it in. This is a 1993 we are talking about, it took 6 hours just to get one of the bolts out it was so rusted. Once in, the Car started and ran like a dream for a day. Upon driving to a store and getting some copies for a project, the car refused to start and has not started for the past month. We can't afford to have the car towed, nor worked on by pros and the help that got the First fuel pump in will not help again due to the stress it put him through. Anyways that is neither here nor there. At this point we have bought a few test lights and found an interesting thing. When the positive is connected to the battery the fuel pump has power but when we connect the negative, the fuel pump has none. This is the same when the emergency shut of switch is tripped. If the switch is tripped we have power, but when the switch is reset... nothing... Needless to say after a month of not being able to leave our apartment except via friends whose patients with us is running out... we need a solution to the problem. Has anyone had a similar issue? Is this a problem with something other then the fuel system? Is my car possessed by some vengeful specter that is impeding repairs? Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance,
Rezo

shorod
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious how you're using a test light to determine there is power to the fuel pump when the ground cable is not connected. Are you running a wire for the test light ground all the way up to the battery? Have you tried your test on both the input and output of the inertia switch? You might have corrosion in the circuit or a loose connector that is indicating voltage when the circuit is not loaded (because the ground cable is not completing the circuit) but can't support the current draw when loaded and therefore extinguishes the test light. Testing the input at the inertia switch will tell you if the issue is before or after the inertia switch.

If you send me a private message with an e-mail address for you, I can e-mail you a PDF of the fuel pump circuit diagram so you can trace the circuit and figure out where the issue lies.

Your 1993 probably uses a Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) which contains the fuel pump relay. I seem to recall someone years ago finding a bad ground for the CCRM which caused a no-start condition.

-Rod

Grezo
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Not that looks are totally relevant but this is what our car looks like with the exception that ours has a white rear bumper from a replacement.

Anyways the Engine is a 3.8L, a bit of Information I left out.

http://cdn-www.greencar.com/images/perspective9/1993-Ford-Taurus-FFV.jpg

Grezo
08-08-2010, 08:35 AM
We Have replaced the Fuel Pump again and still have a no start condition on the car. My mother has been trying to find the ground wires form the CCRM but tracing them is a bit hard to do as the wires split in a Y shape. She stopped at that point. She is at a total lose as to what to do now for the car.

shorod
08-08-2010, 07:35 PM
You don't need to trace the wires at the CCRM but instead you need to check the signal levels at the CCRM going in to and coming from the module. That will help you determine if the signal is even telling the fuel pump to turn on.

-Rod

Grezo
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey Rod,
I have gotten a little more information from my mother since last we spoke. When the guys told her it was the fuel pump they told her the diagnostic codes that were pulled on their computer. Maybe you can interpret whats wrong by these codes.

Code 1: 211 PIP CIRCUIT FAULT
Code 2: 543 FUEL PUMP SECONDARY CIRCUIT FAILURE BATTERY TO ECA

The Bold and all Caps text is what the Chilton's Manual says these codes are.

Maybe these will help with figuring out what we need to do to get our car going again.

Thank,
Rezo

shorod
08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
The PIP code relates to the ignition system and would not suggest a fuel pump issue. I'd certainly focus on that code before the fuel pump circuit since even if you have fuel, without spark the car won't start. Her 1993 probably has a distributor with an ignition module. Some of the local chain auto parts stores may still have a tester that can test the ignition module off the car. It used to be pretty common for a faulty ignition module to cause a no start condition on a hot engine. Has anyone checked for spark when the engine is cranking?

-Rod

Grezo
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
It's alive! We replaced the CCRM and it started. It now has a new fuel pump and CCRM and it seems to be running fine now. My mother is out driving it now. Things should be golden now. Thanks for all your Help Rod. I'll try to keep you posted on how the car is doing. See you around.

Rezo

shorod
08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Glad you got it running!

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!