Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where would I put Oil Pressure Gauge tubing on my '95 3 cyl Metro engine ?

DOCTORBILL
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I've had an Oil Pressure gauge for quite a while for my '95 3 cyl Metro, but never
installed it.

I don't know where to put the tubing unit at on the engine - has thin plastic tubing.

It is an EQUUS gauge with a 300° sweep dial.

Any help on that ?

DoctorBill

Crvett69
08-05-2010, 06:01 AM
you need to install a T where the oil pressure sending unit come out of the block unless you just want to run the gauge, its best if you have both sice you won't be watching the gauge all the time. you can get the correct brass T at hardware store or automotive store. attatch hose to one side and sending unit to the other making sure both hose and sending unit do not get to close or rub on exhaust manifold

Metro Mighty Mouse
08-05-2010, 06:22 AM
If you don't mind losing your idiot..... I mean warning light, the oil pressure sender is on the front of the motor, next to the oil filter, behind/ in the general area of the O2 sender. Remove it and put the gauge line fitting in it's place.

From personal experience, ditch the plastic and use copper tubing, or better yet, sell the mechanical gauge and get an electrical gauge so you only have to run a wire to make it work. No false 0 oil pressure readings due to a leaky tube that way. I lost my 1st engine because of this happening. A couple of times of having the gauge read 0 due to a leak in the line and I ignored the next 0 reading. I drove to my destination only to discover it was the crank seal and I had little to no oil left.

If you want to keep the idiot.... warning light you need a "T" fitting so you can attach the warning light sender and the oil line fitting to the same oil passage. Getting it all to fit and work and not leak is a real chore. Braking the brass fittings is a real possibility, especially after it's been on the car for awhile and you are really tired of the oil getting all over the bottom of the oil pan and the exhaust. I just acquired an oil sender manifold from a Dodge Daytona turbo that I hope will allow me to have both the gauge and the warning light without any interference with the exhaust or the motor and won't leak or break since it isn't made of relatively thin brass. It has 4 places to thread senders into that should allow me to install them where they won't be cooked by the exhaust and have room to get them tight enough not to leak.

There is apparently another passage next to the one the factory uses that is plugged. I was unable to remove the plug and it appeared to be too close to the factory outlet for there to be a sender in both anyway.

Good Luck!!

Add your comment to this topic!