Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99'GTP smoke coming from inside valve cover

jrshardt
08-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Help I think it's dieing:( Well maybe I killed it.. I ran it low on oil and and it started smoking an getting hot I had just put coolant in it. I pulled over immediately put the hood an the it was smoking from around the valve cover so I pulled the dipstick and smoke came out i took the oil cap off an more smoke came out, I had some oil in it but I let it cool an added 2 more quarts, And drove it home it sounds bad but I haven't lost any power, and the smoke is still coming out!! any ideas

tblake
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Possibly blew a head gasket. By sounds bad do you mean knocking or engine noise? Its probably beyone repair if so.

jrshardt
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
It was still running till my ol man took it for a drive and didn't cut it off when it started to make the knocking noise i believe it was valves, get real loud and started to sputter and shut down..had to be towed home:frown:. And I haven't tried to crank it today. Is there a way to check it?

olopezm
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Well I've had overheating problems with an old van I used to have and the only thing I can tell you to diagnose an overheated engine is to crank the engine if it sounds normal and starts or tries to start then you might have a blown gasket, immediately check the engine oil, if it looks milky then you have coolant leaking into the cylinders and will need to remove the intake manifold and heads to check for leaks, twisted heads and replace the gaskets.

The worst case scenario will be if you crank the engine and it sounds like one of those "power wheels" trucks for kids, just like an electric motor. Is so you'll have to replace the piston rings, connecting rod bearings likely too, replace head gaskets, have both heads and intake manifold rectified, and get rid of any corrosion inside the cylinders.

I really hope this is not your case, I wish you the best of lucks!

jrshardt
08-26-2010, 11:54 AM
I had a busted radiator hose!! Thank God these car have tough engines!!

Add your comment to this topic!