Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

$75 Light Bulb?

BrianP
08-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I thought everyone might get a chuckle out of how insane this is.

I had my truck at the dealer to replace the wheel speed sensors. The service advisor noticed that I had a daytime running light out when I pulled in the garage. He asked me if I wanted it replaced. Fortunately, I told him do not do any work until he calls me with the cost. He called later that day and said it would be $75 to replace the bulb!! I told him forget it. I replaced it myself a day later for a $7 bulb and about 5 minutes of my time. The headlamp assembly lifts right out and I was able to reach the DRL bulb without having to remove the turn signal assembly.

Oddly enough the cost to replace the wheel speed senors was in line with several independent shops I priced before taking it to the dealer. So why they would overcharge on something like this?

emt1134
08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
First of all, the dealers mark up prices on parts, sometimes as high as 100%, if not more... Also, they know the bulbs can be changed within 5 minutes, but some will automatically charge half hour or so for the work.. So figure, if they were to charge you around $15 for the bulb, then half hour labor @ 100/hr (which is what most are charging these days), you are at $65... add tax, and you are at about $75... I used to work for GM as a tech.. I know, it's disgusting what they try to do to customers.... This is why I admire those who take it upon themselves to do these simple things that a monkey could do...

Add your comment to this topic!