Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Windstar transmission problems

sj_32newnan
08-03-2010, 05:50 PM
My van just broke down on me. The engine still runs but when I went to start from a red light, the van didn't move. It will stay in park but when shifted to other gear, it does nothing. Fluid is red and doesn't look burnt so I'm thinking it might be some kind of computer controller. But then again I'm no mechanic. Please help, this is my only vehicle.

wiswind
08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I am guessing you have tried ALL the gears.....Reverse, 2nd and 1st?
If none work......there are several things that can cause this.
Check the fluid LEVEL with the gear select in PARK.....and parking brake set.....with motor running at IDLE.
If the fluid level is significantly HIGH.....then it is likely that the fluid pump in the transmission is not pumping......internal failure.

If you have a second person.....maybe verify that the cable between the gear select lever in the vehicle and the transmission range sensor on top of the transmission is connected........the TRS should move when you move the gear select lever.
Not likely the problem.....but I am trying to think of something cheap.

As you have checked the fluid to know the color......then I am guessing that you are near the correct level......it should be slightly higher with the motor not running at all......as compared to the motor running.....as I mention above.

In my mind.....I keep thinking internal to the transmission.......

Add your comment to this topic!