Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 GT Grand Prix (BTSI type) electrical problem

beltfeed
08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
OK folks I hope someone can help me. A few days ago I had the ignition key would not return to the removal position in the column problem. This turned out to be the purple/white strip wire was broken in the console harness. This was indirectly keeping the steering column park /lock solenoid from activating. Well it all worked good for a few days, now I have the same problem plus the starter is not even getting a command to engage. I checked the BTSI fuse and it has 12V at that point. I used to have 12V in the console harness in the (pink wire) when the key was inserted in the column. Now no matter where I position the key in the column I never get any power to any of the wires going into the console. I also checked for power in the harness upstream of the console harness and there is no power at this point. When I roll the key to start position it pulls the dash lights down like a dead short but nothing else happens. I will be winching this into my car trailer in another day or two and dropping it off at the dealer. I spent two full days checking all the points I could electrically without having a factory schematic. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas, Pete.

rkvons
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
OK folks I hope someone can help me. A few days ago I had the ignition key would not return to the removal position in the column problem. This turned out to be the purple/white strip wire was broken in the console harness. This was indirectly keeping the steering column park /lock solenoid from activating. Well it all worked good for a few days, now I have the same problem plus the starter is not even getting a command to engage. I checked the BTSI fuse and it has 12V at that point. I used to have 12V in the console harness in the (pink wire) when the key was inserted in the column. Now no matter where I position the key in the column I never get any power to any of the wires going into the console. I also checked for power in the harness upstream of the console harness and there is no power at this point. When I roll the key to start position it pulls the dash lights down like a dead short but nothing else happens. I will be winching this into my car trailer in another day or two and dropping it off at the dealer. I spent two full days checking all the points I could electrically without having a factory schematic. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas, Pete.

Do your headlights also get dim like a dead short when you try to start it? Perhaps your battery connections, or battery are suspect.

beltfeed
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
The draw is not being created by a starter load. I have checked for 12V at the starter solenoid while I have my wife turn the key to the start position. Zero voltage ever gets applied to the starter. Also the battery is fresh and works fine. Thanks for giving it a shot. I will spend more time on it tomorrow night.

richtazz
08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Beltfeed, are you checking for voltage at the small "s" terminal on the starter when teh key is turned to start? Do you have a security light on? have you tried starting the car in neutral instead of park?

Add your comment to this topic!