Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing Issue?

luckymanz
08-02-2010, 05:02 AM
I just rebuilt the 305 with new cam, gears, etc. I am pretty confident the gears were installed with the the dots lining up between the cam bear and the crank gear. I installed the distributor with the rotor pointing about the the 5 o'clock position toward the #1 cylinder. I fired her up and the engine starts when it is advanced to about 34 degrees. I put the timing light on it (disconnected ESC wire)and when I rotate the distributor, the engine does not want to go below 22 degrees wihout making huge "sucking" sounds through the TBI like it is a huge vacuum leak. I double checked ign timing and ensured it was pointing to the #1 plug and it was. Is the #1 position on the cap at about the 5 o'clock position? Could the timing gears be off a bit? Any help would beb awesome!

j cAT
08-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I just rebuilt the 305 with new cam, gears, etc. I am pretty confident the gears were installed with the the dots lining up between the cam bear and the crank gear. I installed the distributor with the rotor pointing about the the 5 o'clock position toward the #1 cylinder. I fired her up and the engine starts when it is advanced to about 34 degrees. I put the timing light on it (disconnected ESC wire)and when I rotate the distributor, the engine does not want to go below 22 degrees wihout making huge "sucking" sounds through the TBI like it is a huge vacuum leak. I double checked ign timing and ensured it was pointing to the #1 plug and it was. Is the #1 position on the cap at about the 5 o'clock position? Could the timing gears be off a bit? Any help would beb awesome!

sounds like your off one gear tooth...rotate to TDC remove distributor and reinstall ...take note of how it was before removing..

since it can run your close ..

luckymanz
08-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info! I moved it over about one gear clockwise and started it up. It sounded pretty good but I couldn't let it run to long while I put the timing light to it. I am running straight pipes and it's pretty loud at 9 PM...neighbors might complain :rofl: I will let you know tomorrow how it does undder the timing light :smokin:

j cAT
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info! I moved it over about one gear clockwise and started it up. It sounded pretty good but I couldn't let it run to long while I put the timing light to it. I am running straight pipes and it's pretty loud at 9 PM...neighbors might complain :rofl: I will let you know tomorrow how it does undder the timing light :smokin:

I did the same thing back in 1975 on the 350cu impala I owned..

Add your comment to this topic!