EGR clean the large hole that supplies exhaust flow

onerobertone
07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
I just cleaned the vacuum port on my 2001 rodeo EGR. I would have liked to have cleaned the large hole that supplies exhaust flow for reducing the oil consumption problem - but I can't find anything about it.

Does anyone know the link is or how to do it?

Cat Fuzz
07-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Cleaning the EGR passage, while being a good idea to do, won't effect oil consumption. Oil consumption is caused by a design flaw with the pistons. Not enough drain back holes allows oil to push past the rings. To clean the EGR passage, remove the EGR valve, 2 small bolts. The most common place for the passage to plug up is in the intake where it dumps out. The tube coming from the exhaust rarely clogs. The hole that supplies exhaust is the one with the pipe attached. The other goes into the intake.

onerobertone
08-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Cleaning the EGR passage, while being a good idea to do, won't effect oil consumption. Oil consumption is caused by a design flaw with the pistons. Not enough drain back holes allows oil to push past the rings. To clean the EGR passage, remove the EGR valve, 2 small bolts. The most common place for the passage to plug up is in the intake where it dumps out. The tube coming from the exhaust rarely clogs. The hole that supplies exhaust is the one with the pipe attached. The other goes into the intake.

Thanks for responding - so you are saying that I've already done what I can do, yes?

Even after spraying a can down the intake it still seems to want to sputter at idle. I have 138,000 so I can't complain too much.

amigo-2k
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
You may want to clean your butterfly in the throttlebody to help the stuttering

onerobertone
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM

And how do you do that again? :confused:

su_jumptd
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
This might help concerning the ERG Valve issue.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1010985

chevyrulez1
11-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Read this

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1053354

onerobertone
12-06-2010, 05:19 AM

That cured the sputtering.

Add your comment to this topic!