Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Cutlass Supreme SL quits, then goes again

tharrison57
07-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I've got a '97 Cutlass Supreme, 153,000 miles, and the other day after driving 35 miles, it just flat died. It was a long push uphill to get out of 4 lane traffic ! Engine turned over fine, just wouldn't fire. After it set for 5 minutes, it started right up. When I came home that night, I'd go about 15 miles, and it'd do the same thing all over again. :runaround:

I need to put a pressure guage on the fuel rail & try it. Any idea on presure readings ? Through all of this, it hasn't thrown a code, leading me to believe fuel pump ? :uhoh:

I described this to a couple of friends. One says fuel pump, the other says electrical because there is a "breaker" that pops, and then cools off and resets. :screwy:

Okay folks, you've never failed me before, so throw your suggestions at me ..... PLEASE ! As always, thanks in advance ! :cheers:

maxwedge
07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
No breaker that pops. Either no fp or no spark, test fp when it won't run, 3100 should be about 42 psi, 3800 a little more, if ok, check for spark, all basic diagnostics.

tharrison57
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
THANKS ! I'll be looking for the guage, just to try & see if the pump is weak to start with. I'll report back with either good news, or begging for more help !

Thanks again .................

Add your comment to this topic!