Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SRS air bag light on

hammer2
07-29-2010, 09:26 AM
2000 model. it used to come on and then go off again. now it stays on constantly. what could be causing this? What can I test? Of note, whether pertinent or not I am not sure, I occasionally get water leaking into car front passenger foot area when car is SITTING and it rains heavily. assume it comes down windshield and then leaks in somewhere? does not always happen, in fact not often. but we have not had much rain and I don't use the car a whole lot. but I think MAYBE in past it seemed related that when it would get wet in passenger foot area that the light would come on and then be intermittant and then go off-like the water would set it off and then as water evaporated the light would go out. any airbag connector in the blower motor area that could be getting wet?

tblake
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
The water leaking in is an easy fix. Just remove the plastic cover on the passenger side under the windshield wiper and clean and secure the rubber guard above the air intake with some silicone. Do a forum search, you'll find plenty of documentation.

On the airbag issue, I have never had any issues with my airbag systems, so I dont even know what to check. You could have a bad arming or crash sensor. Other than just replacing them, I don't know how to text them. In fact, I dont even know where they are. I think there may be one on the radiator support, and one under a front seat. Just be carefull poking around with a multimeter as even the slightest voltage can set the airbag off. Has you car ever been in an accident?

hammer2
07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
thanks. have to check the leak issue. but that is minor issue right now. I have emissions inspection coming up and they won't even do it if any of your lights are on. I am not sure if they just mean the check engine light? so I may not even be able to get the inspection done. and of course if the air bag isn't going to work if I am in accident, that is issue.

the only accident is I hit a deer many years ago. air bag did not go off. this was before I had any issues with the light coming on and the accident did not cause the light to start coming on either.

tblake
07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
It might be a good idea to bring it to a dealer and have them hook a scanner up to check the BCM codes.

BNaylor
07-31-2010, 01:17 PM
I have emissions inspection coming up and they won't even do it if any of your lights are on. I am not sure if they just mean the check engine light? so I may not even be able to get the inspection done. and of course if the air bag isn't going to work if I am in accident, that is issue.

Check with the place(s) that does the emissions testing before taking it there. The state laws normally refer to the SES/CEL light only based on odb-ii standards. The SRS/airbag light should not affect whether you pass or fail emissions testing. I passed emissions testing in Texas in the past with the airbag light on. Inspector didn't even care about it. :grinno:

I agree probably best to take it to a GM dealer where they will access the SRS SDM (Service/Diagnostics) module which is located under the passenger seat with the proper test equipment. My issue turned out to be an open to the driver's side arbag module at the clock spring assembly in the steering column. This caused a constant airbag light.

mcmalloy
07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
check to see if your horn and cruise control still work, it might be the steering wheel clock gone bad

tblake
07-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Good point mcmalloy, but the cruise circuit does not go through the clock spring. Rather the horn, air bag, and if he has steering wheel controlls, they do. Nothing else that I am aware of.

Add your comment to this topic!