Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Jetta Dash Issues

Darren349
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
After reading through the first 26 pages of threads here and not finding exactly what I was looking for, lets try my own thread. (If it was on a page after 26 I am sorry for double posting.)

The problem I have is that a recently purchased Jetta doesn't add up the miles. The speedometer, tachometer and all other dash indicators seem to work fine. I tried to get to the back of the cluster and kinda broke the radio somehow. The little ribbon cable from the faceplate of the radio to the chassis of it is pulled out causing none of the number buttons to work.

Now for the questions. What is the best way to get behind the instrument cluster (I found only the 2 screws above the gauges and the 3 behind the AC/heat control before I stopped so I didn't break any more.)? Less importantly is my broken cable in the radio repairable or should I just accelerate the replacement that I already had in mind? If anyone happens to be familiar with Pennsylvania inspection rules, do I have to have this odometer issue fixed for inspection?

Thanks for helping.

Franco2112
07-27-2010, 09:57 PM
State inspections are safety and emissions inspections. Your odometer or tachometer does not fall into this category. Speedometer yes. If you were to sell your car, you will need to disclose the odometer issue as being a good guy. So as long as your speedometer works as it should you will pass that part of your inspection. The broken cable sounds to me to be the antenna and will need to be fixed.
Franco

Darren349
07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you for some good news there. I will update how the inspection goes, but I still would like to know how to remove it so that I can somehow fix the problem and know how far I am driving.

On the radio issue.... I took a few minutes today (I can't smoke inside so I played with the radio while smoking) and managed to put the ribbon cable back into the chassis end so now the buttons work again.

Darren

Add your comment to this topic!