Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front Rotor Replacement

mikeso_81
07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi,

My front rotors are warped and are need of replacement. Fortunately, they are still under warranty so I'm going to replace them. Anyhow, my question is that do I just replace the rotors or should I clean up the brakes as well (grind off dust, compress the caliper piston, put new brake quite on the back of the pads, etc.) Note, the brakes are about 50% worn

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L

Thx

tblake
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I'd but new pads and do it right. Your stopping distance and pedal force will be bad if you run old pads on new rotors.

richtazz
07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree with Tim, leaving old pads on that are 50% worn doesn't make much sense. Not only will stopping distance be affected reusing the old pads, but the chance of brake noise is significantly higher when reusing old pads with new rotors or vice-versa.

tblake
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Not to mention if the Pads were overheated and cause the old rotors to worp, chances are the old glazed pads will ruin the new rotors.

GTP Dad
07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
As tblake and richtazz stated replace the pads when you replace the rotors. The pads will seat better on the rotors and the braking power will be much improved. Pads are really inexpensive given their importance when stopping!

Add your comment to this topic!