Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Muffler Repair Job

rkvons
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
So I've had this exhaust sound getting louder and louder for a couple of years now. This last winter it really decided to get loud. I was worried I was gonna get pulled over. Finally this spring it warmed up enough for me to get under and take a look. It turns out that the heat sheet above the muffler, which is riveted to the muffler had come loose and was just sitting on top of the muffler. I'm surprised it did not fall off while driving. Anyway, one of the rivet holes was really large and was the source of the exhaust sound. So I took a set of tin snips to the heat shield and cut a "Patch" out. I then went up to the out parts store to buy a couple of tubes of muffler repair cement and then went over to Menards to get a few king size hose clamps. Look at the finished product. I saved myself some money.http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=40063&stc=1&d=1280164279:naughty:

tblake
07-26-2010, 04:34 PM
How long do you plan to keep your car? ie, how long do you think it will last like this?

An exhaust shop could have probably welded a peice in place for less than the cost of the giant hose clamps.

Either way, good way to improvise.

rkvons
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
How long do you plan to keep your car? ie, how long do you think it will last like this?

An exhaust shop could have probably welded a peice in place for less than the cost of the giant hose clamps.

Either way, good way to improvise.
I plan on keeping the car for a long time. I think it will last like this for a few years. And this patch is on the muffler itself, so I think the proper fix would be quite a bit of money.

Add your comment to this topic!