Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No Brake Lights or Turn Signals w/ ABS Light On

Weasel00
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I recently ran into a problem with my '99 cavalier. I don't have any brake lights or turn signals. My ABS light is also on.
Here is some history.

My left head light was not working, so I changed the bulb and that did not fix the problem. I opened up the steering column to see if there was a broken wire on from the multifunction switch. I found 2 that were bad so i replaced them. That did not fix the head light problem, actually found the wires goign to head light broken.
The next day I noticed my turn signals were not work, they would not even flash on the instrument cluster. I then checked to see if my brake lights would work, and they would not either. I believe I noticed the ABS light was on about this same time (about the time or a before I noticed the turn signals would not work).

I am wondering if for some reason I got the 2 wires switched on the multifuntion switch, but looking at a picture that does not seem to be the problem (was not a great picture, but from what I could see seemed right).

I am wondering if anybody has some ideas on what else it could be. I checked the fuse and they is fine.

Thanks in advance.
Jared

Airjer_
07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Does the third brake light in the window work?

If it does I would bet the turn signal switch is bad. If it doesn't than check for power at the brake switch. One wire should be powered up all the time. One should have power when the brakes are applied.

I assume you have checked the fuses for brake and turn signals?

Weasel00
07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I assume you have checked the fuses for brake and turn signals?

I checked the one fuse (bottom left). I did this quick and thought that is the one that said Brake/Turn or something like that. I didn't see any other one that stood out.

Jared

Airjer_
07-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Should be a 20 amp stop/hazard fuse that feeds the flasher and the brake switch. Brake switch should have power on the orange wire all the time. There should be power on the white wire with the brakes applied.

There is also a 10 amp turn/b/u fuse that supplies power to the flasher as well.

Weasel00
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Should be a 20 amp stop/hazard fuse that feeds the flasher and the brake switch. Brake switch should have power on the orange wire all the time. There should be power on the white wire with the brakes applied.

I think you hit it. Just checked that fuse and it is blown. I have to get a replacement and make sure it is still not blowing. It might have blown when I was repairing one of the wires.

Thanks a lot for all of your help!!

Jared

Add your comment to this topic!