Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC condensate drain location

jackmalone2001
07-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello all!

I have water in the passenger side of my wife's 1999 Buick Century Wildcat, 63,000 miles, 3.1l v-6 engine.

I notice that the passenger side floor board is wet whenever she uses the AC, saw the previous posts about sealing the vent intake from the rain, sealed the area, and still get water in the car.

So now I think the AC drain is clogged, but cannot find the drain! Can someone please give me detailed instructions as to how to find the drain from outside of the car, or if not that, how to find it from inside the vent intake?

Thank you very much for all of your help.

Jack

GTP Dad
07-26-2010, 06:15 PM
The drain should be on the firewall just behind the engine on the passenger side of the vehicle. It may have a small rubber L shaped hose on it but it may not have the hose. Once you find the drain run a metal coat hanger into the hole and it should open up. Watch out for water as it may come draining out!

jackmalone2001
07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Thank you very much for responding GTP Dad!

My issue is that I cant find the drain hose from a looking down into the engine bay. Any ideas as to where it is on the fire wall? Center, left right or High low or medium? I know this sounds stupid, but with the way the 3.1l engine is oriented in the bay, it makes finding anything on the fire wall difficult.

Thank you very much!

Jack

brcidd
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
It is a "W" car-- drain is dead center on firewall- stand facing front of car on passenger side- with your left hand- reach in behind alternator and feel for indent in firewall- drain tube is in center of indent- pull tube off and trim rubber "nipple" off end- chances are about a gallon of water will hit the ground when you pull the tube off- now put tube back on and never have the problem again-- I have done about a dozen W cars this way- that rubber nipple tends to plug up... and W car is only GM vehicle to use a nipple-- so stupid-- all other cars have a half inch open rubbr hose-- W car chose to restrict air flow losses and use the nipple which soon plugs up as you have experienced.....

You can't see the drain tube --can only feel it.....

jackmalone2001
07-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Thank you very much for all the help and advise. I will work on it later.

This forum is one of the coolest things on the internet!

Take care!

Jack

GTP Dad
07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
It would be easier to find if you crawl under the car and look up. It is low on the firewall and is hard to find from the top.

brcidd
07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I guess I don't crawl under the car- cause I do most of these in the parking lot for co-workers with your same complaint-(they buy my lunch) and I don't have my floor jack with me....Also I never really liked all that water running down my shirt sleeve when I pop that nipple off....

Add your comment to this topic!