Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 GP P/S whine

basszzilla
07-25-2010, 11:46 AM
04 G/P w/magsteer. Three rebuilt pumps, one rebuilt rack, magnetic filter, aftermarket cooler and multiple flushes with different fluid types. I have even gone as far as over filling and this thing still whines. Surely someone has the answer:banghead:

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 11:48 AM
What brand rebuilt power steering pumps?

basszzilla
07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Two A-1 Cardone and some off brand from O'reillys. the later whined the least but still unacceptable.

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Its common to get whine of varying degree on rebuilt pumps. You might try getting an OE Delco/Delphi either new or used. Try Ed Morad at his EBay store for good deals on used.

When the pumps were replaced did you make sure all air was bled out?

basszzilla
07-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Bleeding procedure was followed for all installations. Wheels off the ground, engine running, every couple of minutes turn wheels lock to lock for about an hour. Is this correct?
I have read that the P/S whine on GPs is normal, I dont buy it. My next step is a new GM pump, although I have read that not all Pumps purchased from GM are equal. I have heard that GM will sell a new aftermarket tagged as OE.

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Thats basically correct except you leave the PS pump reservoir cap off while doing it. Actually the whine is not normal so I agree but does happen normally only when the fluid gets or is low or in extreme cold weather areas. We should have a help thread at our Grand Prix Tips & Maintenance forum that covers pump R&R and bleeding. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!