Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 GTP suspension / Engine Noise???

tblake
07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
My GTP seems to have developed a weird suspension sound. It started a week or so ago. It only happens when the car is first started in the morning and put into drive or reverse. After a second or so it does away. The noise is more concentrated on the passenger side. There is a pair of sunglasses in the door compartment over there, and I initially thought that the sound was vibrations from the glasses, cause thats exactly what it sounds like inside the car. So yesterday I was driving with my windows down and I found out the noise is coming from outside, passenger side.

All the suspension components are tight and the car drives perfectly. The noise happenes whether or not I am turning the wheels, so its probably not a strut mount. (I could sit in the car, foot on the break, and put it in reverse and sit there and the noise would happen for 2 seconds then go away).

I am wondering if 1) its the beginning stages of a deteriorating balancer 2)a bad lower motor mount, or 3) compressor clutch, but would that make sence even though I dont have the AC or heat on?

Which conincidentally my AC stopped working a few days ago also. Worked on my way to work, didn't use it on the way home, and the next day I had no AC at all. The compress isn't even enguaging. However the noise has been present before the AC stopped working.

Anyone with any ideas?

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Tim lower engine mounts especially with the in-cabin vibration. On the A/C issue check the refrigerant charge and High/Low pressures first using a decent set of A/C manifold gauges.

Is your oil pan gasket leaking?

tblake
07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
...Is your oil pan gasket leaking?

Yes it is, about a quart every 3000-4000 miles (change interval). It just lightly coats the bottom of the oil pan. It has since I bought it. I'm not so concerned at this point with 150k on the clock. But are you getting at that could cause my lower motor mount to deteriorate?

Thanks Bob.

tblake
07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
And By the way, no shorter dog bones on my car.

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah Tim that is another cause of the lower engine mount on the right side to deteriorate. Over the years old oil which has acid and combustion by-products eats away at the rubber part of the engine mount. The old oil pools on the section of the subframe where the lower part of the engine mount mates up.

No comment on using shorter dog bone engine mounts. :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!