Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Flooding

david-b
07-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Does anyone else have to deal with flooding basements? When I lived with my parents our house during the roughest storms would only leave a little piddle in the basement. It was right by the drain anyways, so it was no biggy.

I've been at my apartment for 3 years now, and this year it's flooded, like straight up flooded twice now. Last year and before, just some minor leaks. But these 2 storms have been strong, and it's come down really hard. Lots of places across the Chicago-land area are flooded, roads, expressways, neighborhoods... and it looks like my basement got (where the waterline is) about 8in of water. The last big storm before, looked about 3-4" WTF!! Luckily, most of it goes away by the time I get to it, but the floor isn't level, so there's lots of parts that have standing water. Plus, my water heater always gets knocked out.

Technically I don't rent the basement, but I can store my stuff down there, like a my xmas stuff and other things. Well that's all ruined. I also had a brand new punching bag and stand down there still in box, and that's ruined as well. Plus, since my landlord passed away and the daughter is incharge, I clean up it up. I really don't mind, but it's becoming a hassle doing this. LIterally takes about the whole weekend. Water doesn't exactly dry up too quicly down there.

Does Renters insurance cover some stuff? Any ideas on that? Even though it's not my space down there and I don't have any receipts to prove anything? Thoughts?

ned032002
07-24-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't know what renters insurrance covers. It floods bad here in the winter. In the past, its flooded to the top of the stairs.

SilvrEclipse
07-24-2010, 04:16 PM
No flooding here. Sucks that it flooded tho.

SLoe
07-24-2010, 09:04 PM
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,220912,00.html?xid=yahoo-answers&partner=yes

http://www.basementmaintenance.com/

Sorry, I don't have a basement can't help you much there. I am a landlord though, and renters insurance doesn't normally cover flooding. That's a separate policy.

ned032002
07-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Thats ironic you mentioned this cause it started raining like a bastard here today. The street were flooding quite a bit and 20 mins down the road, a tornado touched down. Crazy shit.

david-b
07-25-2010, 10:06 AM
It rained more last night and left some more water, not too bad though. Finishing cleaning up this morning. Found actually the vent where a dryer used to be hooked up, is just open. Surprised I don't have mice or something down there. I stuffed and covered it with numerous plastic bags and rubber bands for now as a temp fix.

I'm reading those articles right now. Should really get a dehumidifier for down there. The windows don't open, so it's hard to get the moisture out.

violent31601
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
only type of leak I had so far was I found out my chimney wasn't capped off and one morning I woke up to a puddle that formed from my chimney filling up to the door.

I capped it the next day and it hasn't happend again

boostjunkie333
08-01-2010, 11:35 PM
We dont get floods...just trees down on back roads and then you have to go around your ass to get somewhere

david-b
08-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Haha... good times.

"Quick, put this in the glovebox"

vanilla gorilla
08-02-2010, 07:25 AM
We dont have basements around here.
But yeah like he said, if it gets too rough, itll flood the back roads and blow limbs and s everywhere. Makes it hard to get home sometimes :l

Add your comment to this topic!