Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Motor Mount Replacement

GTP Version 2.0
07-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Does anyone have a write up on replacing the lower motor mount? My shortened dogbone mounts screwed up my lower mount, its either that or AZ parts suck more than I thought.

GTP Version 2.0
07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
So I just replaced my stupid shortened dogbones (yeah they helped with launching but I decided not to lower my car) and reinstalled the original ones but with new poly dogbone bushings. Now when I drive I have a continual clunking/bumping noise at the passenger side front that gets louder as I drive faster. Please guys I need help fast because I have to be at work tomorrow!

GTP Version 2.0
07-24-2010, 11:41 AM
OK I just raised the car with my jacks took off both front wheels and put my car in drive. I saw that the axel boot is hitting the control arm (where the control arm bolt to the frame, the axis parallel to the car. What I think happened is that when I installed the shorter dogbones I wore out the lower engine mount. After removing the shorter dogbones and replacing them with the originals the center of gravity was reestablished, centered solely onto the hydraulic mount which has failed. Does this seem plausible?

If so, PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME A WRITE UP ON HOW TO REPLACE THE LOWER ENGINE MOUNT.

BNaylor
07-24-2010, 01:50 PM
GTP Version 2.0,

Your two threads on the same issue/topic have been merged together. Please try to keep one thread only.

Now to replace the passenger side engine mount you will need an engine hoist or appropriate tool fixtures to raise/support the engine/transaxle.

The engine mount with the rubber insulator is secured to a engine mount bracket at the engine and to the subframe assembly. Total of either 5 or 6 bolts for engine mount bracket. You'll need to get to the two nuts holding the engine mount to the bracket. The engine mount has a total of 4 nuts to be removed. In addition you will need to remove the two front dogbone engine mounts, disconnect the exhaust system (downpipe), right wheel/tire, the inner wheel well plastic splash guard, serpentine drive belt, etc. Also, A/C compressor bolts since the compressor is in the way. A lot of other items need to be done in addition to the above so it is a tedious and not that easy DIY job.

Torque Values
Engine Mount Bracket Bolts - 75 lb-ft
Engine Mount Nuts - 35 lb-ft

GTP Version 2.0
07-24-2010, 03:49 PM
After sitting down to rest (its 108 right now with 50% humidity) I started thinking, and I figured since the axle boot was hitting the control arm with the recent change, I just swapped the shorter dogbones back in which fixed the problem.

From there, since I was now able to drive the car, I went done to a local repair shop and the guy only charged for two hours of labor (even though he was done in 1.5 hours). All in all I cant complain. Most shops I called wanted 3.5 hours of labor. I really didn't want to crawl under the car with questionable jack stands. The old hydraulic engine mount was broken in two, literally. With the stock dogbones I noticed that I lost some low end torque to the wheels but my steering is much more responsive and the alignment is better too. The engine doesn't budge at all since I now have poly dogbones (bushings and mounts), solid rubber engine mount, and a solid rubber tranny mount (WBody store). Before BNaylor posted the response, I found a full write up on another site, and thought "to hell with that"....

BNaylor
07-24-2010, 05:36 PM
:shakehead

You know I haven't figured why you post here at AF. From what I've seen you appear to be your own worst nightmare at times. I warned members about the shorter dog bone engine mounts at the thread below last month and many times in the past. What are you going to break next? :rofl:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1017291&highlight=shorter+dog+bone

Final word. Using shorter dog bone engine mounts has nothing to do with any better low end torque to the wheels that you may think you feel.

GTP Version 2.0
07-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Well like I have said in the past, I planned on lowering my car. I just put the shorter dog bones in three months ago and had planned on lowering the car with B+G springs and I planned installing ZZP SS headers later this month which require the shorter dogbones to help with clearance. All this was brought to the light after trying to install the poly dogbone bushings and noticing that the engine was not sitting correctly as the passenger side dogbone mount would not line up.

I love the ego trips you go on BNaylor:runaround: as if you're a self proclaimed god of AF. You tell people that their perceptions and perspectives of the general feel and experiences of and with their vehicles is no more than the malarkey you designate it to be.

I post here because its a free collection of ideas and experiences to faulty designs and general maintenance of automotive enthusiasts. You are just one of many sources, and many other people I have talked to recommend the shorter dogbones given the modification plan I was set on.

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Well like I have said in the past, I planned on lowering my car. I just put the shorter dog bones in three months ago and had planned on lowering the car with B+G springs and I planned installing ZZP SS headers later this month which require the shorter dogbones to help with clearance. All this was brought to the light after trying to install the poly dogbone bushings and noticing that the engine was not sitting correctly as the passenger side dogbone mount would not line up.

I love the ego trips you go on BNaylor:runaround: as if you're a self proclaimed god of AF. You tell people that their perceptions and perspectives of the general feel and experiences of and with their vehicles is no more than the malarkey you designate it to be. <---------- :rofl:

I post here because its a free collection of ideas and experiences to faulty designs and general maintenance of automotive enthusiasts. You are just one of many sources, and many other people I have talked to recommend the shorter dogbones given the modification plan I was set on.

Dude you need to lighten up and you crack me up. :lol: Obviously you can't take constructive criticism. And yes I have the right as a Moderator and Pontiac Grand Prix expert with over 13 years of experience to admonish or critisize you so other members do not follow suite. The general concensus of Staff is you post by asking the question(s), get the advice whether good or bad in most cases good, and then in the end wind up taking your GTP to the shop or simply just screw the job up. In other words wasting everyone's time and efforts.

On using the shorter dog bone engine mounts you do that in conjunction with the lowering not before and do set aside or delay the other mods so that is you problem and your poor judgment.

On the headers I don't care what brand they are you DO NOT need the shorter dog bones mounts to install them. Now that is pure malarkey or better yet B.S.!!! :bs:

GTP Version 2.0
07-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Man one of my biggest pet peeves..."follow suite"?:disappoin

And as for "constructive criticism" perhaps you should google the term before given anymore of your self-perceived notions, as you have said nothing constructive.

Shorter dog bones are required for the ZZP headers as they will hit the front fan motor cover without them. My friend up in PHX already warned me about them, he said all around they are great headers and he loves them (he bought them during the ZZP black friday sale) but warned about issues when it came to installation as all headers have, but to have the shorter dogbones handy.

Justification for installing the shorter dogbones three months ago was that the car has 170k miles on it with the original sagging springs. And though they haven't dropped the car the full inch, its not too far from it.

The more I try to hold onto Pontiac the more I realize that its old and outdated. I love my car, I've had a lot of found memories with her, but I have come to the conclusion that its not worth it anymore, and as dinosaurs like BNaylor hold onto dying breeds, AF posts for the Pontiac section have definitely grown quieter. In the oncoming months, for those who are interested, I'll be posting ads for the performance parts in my car.

I appreciate those who have helped me save thousands in shop repairs and who first exposed me to the thrill of modifying an engine.

BNaylor
07-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Thread closed from further replies so GTP Version 2.0 doesn't continue to let his mouth overload his you know what or see it further deteriorate.

What a bunch of total non-sense! :shakehead ZZP does not state/require nor does installation of the ZZP SS headers require shorter dog bone engine mounts so this is disinformation or simply people that do not know how to install headers. :screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!