Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Lesabre Custom 2-3 Shift Solenoid Replacement help

scederas
07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi. Recently acquired a P0756 and immediately drove the car home. I have been noticing over the last month a whine while driving at highway speeds and what feels like transmission slipping a little at cruising speed. Todays event was the first time that a trouble code has been indicated and also the first time I have endured an event like I did where I was taching 4k rpm's doing 35-40 mph. Like I said I was only 2 miles from home when this happened so I immediately drove it home.

Anyway I have a service manual and was hoping to hear from some of you guys with experience whether or not the 2-3 shift solenoid is easy to get to once I drop the tranny pan.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam in Cary ,NC

maxwedge
07-24-2010, 08:37 AM
The solenoid is in the side cover not the oil pan, not an easy job as you can see, a lot of times the cradle must be dropped some to access the removal of the cover.

scederas
08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to update.....First of all thanks for the replies either here or by email.

After leaving the vehicle parked for several weeks I decided to drive it to the shop to get repaired. I only drove it a mile with the problem before and figured I could drive slow to the shop.

The vehicle started off okay and after approx 1 mile I noticed the vehicle taching too high. 3500 rpm at 45 and it was in overdrive. I slowed down to a stop and took off slowly by changing the gears via the column shift to see if I could make it shift properly manually...1st....okay...2nd ...okay....3rd.....well not okay.........damn...so I came to a stop again. This time when I tried to start off the vehicle shut off.

Long story short....called a roll back...got it to the garage....pulled the codes...sure enough 2nd to 3rd shift solenoid PLUS a new one...Torque Converter Locked.

Oh well....I ended up getting the tranny rebuilt and also found out that the noise I was hearing in the front was not my power steering pump as I thought but one of the front wheel bearings so I got that replaced.

A couple of thousand dollars later I have my car back and all is okay.

I just wanted to give the results to my story to share facts.

Thanks again.

Sam in Cary, N.C.

:smile:

Add your comment to this topic!