Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Goodbye Caprice, Hello Impala

evildragon
07-22-2010, 07:57 PM
No, I'm not getting rid of the Caprice, it's just getting re-born. ;)

Yup, I'm making an Impala clone.. BUT! With a twist. I'm NOT getting the rear quarter windows that impalas have, instead I like the sharkfin look, so I'm just gonna put the impala logo OVER the glass. Second, I'm keeping the woodgrain inside, I love it. 3rd, its STAYING white, but I will do a black impala grille.

Oh, and I'm also getting a 52mm ported throttle body (from a 93 LT1). (I'm gonna rewire the electrical to handle the 93 IAC's).

And one more thing, the back of the car will say Caprice SS, just a memory of what the car once was. But that'll switch to Impala SS years later if the car still runs.

96capricemgr
07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
On the throttle body just swap the baseplate. Trying to rewire the harness to use the 93 IAC is a really poor idea.

My bbk 58mmtb came from a 93 Camaro but I just swapped the bottom plate to the 94+ one.

evildragon
07-22-2010, 09:13 PM
On the throttle body just swap the baseplate. Trying to rewire the harness to use the 93 IAC is a really poor idea.

My bbk 58mmtb came from a 93 Camaro but I just swapped the bottom plate to the 94+ one.
Supposedly this throttle bodies baseplate is built in and can't be removed, so i had no choice but to order the IAC harness for a 93..

I can install it easily without cutting up the wiring, i'll just use those quick splices, and if it works, THEN i'll install it permantnetly.

96capricemgr
07-24-2010, 05:23 PM
pics? I am not aware of any TB constructed as you are suggesting.

evildragon
07-24-2010, 09:55 PM
pics? I am not aware of any TB constructed as you are suggesting.
No Caprice had it, only the Corvette and F-Body previous to 94..

http://shbox.com/1/iac3.jpg

This being the one we all have.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50771501/idle_air_control_valve_step_motor.jpg

That's the type 93 and under had..

It's only on the bottom part of the TB that comes off, where the coolant runs through also.

96capricemgr
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah just like I thought, change the whole coolant plate.

When I said" I am aware of none constructed like that" I meant none have that bottom plate built in, it is screwed on and therefore changable.

You know you need reprogramming or a shift kit or risk tranny damage right???

tranny shift firmness is based off throttle position among other things, a bigger TB will make more power at a given throttle position and the shifts need to be firmer to compensate.

evildragon
07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah just like I thought, change the whole coolant plate.

When I said" I am aware of none constructed like that" I meant none have that bottom plate built in, it is screwed on and therefore changable.

You know you need reprogramming or a shift kit or risk tranny damage right???

tranny shift firmness is based off throttle position among other things, a bigger TB will make more power at a given throttle position and the shifts need to be firmer to compensate.

I've already had my PCM programmed for firm shifting, I boosted the line pressure a lot..

I was told the TB was 3rd party and didn't have a removable plate, but it turns out it's stock TB bored.. So the IAC connector I purchased is useless, but, I could just get the 93 IAC anyway (since my IAC is going bad), as it's cheaper..

96capricemgr
07-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Why do you think it functions the same electrically???

I am not saying it doesn't, just seems to be a blind leap of faith on your part.

I doubt your IAC is going bad, maybe dirty but not bad, very rare for them to fail and when they do it seems to be sudden.

evildragon
07-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Why do you think it functions the same electrically???

I am not saying it doesn't, just seems to be a blind leap of faith on your part.

I doubt your IAC is going bad, maybe dirty but not bad, very rare for them to fail and when they do it seems to be sudden.
I know they are the same electrically because they are 4-wires, dual coil stepper motors, and have the same impedance.. Thus it is the same.

I know mines going bad as the winding in one coil is going out of spec, it's impedance has gotten so low it's almost a short.

evildragon
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siaj5ZEWcjE

Just a preview of whats to become of this conversion.. Not done yet though, still have several parts to be ordered, or still in the mail.

Add your comment to this topic!