Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

aC pulley issues

courtrigd
07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I have a 2000 v6 firebird. The ac pulley has been making noise for some time but only when the ac is running; turn it off and it stops rattling. AC has still been working fine blowing cold etc until recently the rattling turned into a grinding noise and ac doesn't seem to be working very well and engine performance seems to be affected as well. I am assuming the clutch on the ac compressor pulley is toast so I haven't been using the ac but it's summer in Texas and effin hot. Does anyone know if just the pulley/clutch can be replaced without removing/discharging the compressor?

youngkia1
07-21-2010, 04:19 AM
The condition of your car is unusaul. It is not a common glitch that needs to trouble shoot. What i can suggest here is bring it to the expert. Then ask an advicce for proper monitoring when its done.

wrightz28
07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Fairly certain the clutch can be changed without discharging the system.

courtrigd
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks I think so too. Advance auto parts sells the clutch so it's obviously replaceable without replacing the whole compressor anyway. I'll talk to them when I order the part hopefully they'll have a step by step for it.

Add your comment to this topic!