Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 GTP AC acting up

gtp3.8
07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Hello friends. A week ago I had posted a thread about my 97 GTP over heating. I had to get the radiator flushed and rodded and now all seems to be well in that area. The day after I got the car home from the shop my AC would not work the fan was working but no cold air would come out. I had drove the car about a mile and the temp gauge went up to 210 and then droped back where it should be but theres no way that it should have done that in only a mile. I put gas in the car and then it satrted working fine untill last night. I left work the temp done the same thing went to 210 in less than a mile I drove it about 3 or 4 miles and then all of a sudden i felt the AC compressor kick in and it started working. Does anyone have any ideas or theories. Thanks You

1997 GTP 3.8 Super Charged
Reprograned PCM
3.4 SC Pully
U-Bend Delete
Cold Air Intake
195000 Miles

inafogg
07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
it sounds like you may have air trapped in cooling system.check around the
water pump & around thermostat housing for bleed screws(small screw w/lock nut)
loosen & coolant should come out but may start off w/air & then the coolant
Good Luck mike

BNaylor
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
To the OP what brand re-programmed PCM module do you have and how old is the thermostat to include posting the rating? Most of us with your mods or similar run either a 180 or 160.

Are both cooling fans turning on? I have an Intense PCM in my GTP and the fans turn on at 180 degrees at idle.

tblake
07-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Bob, I think in his last post about the overheating issues, that he bought his PCM from PFYC so it must be a DHP.

I agree though, the reporogrammed PCM should have a 185 fan turn on point.

To the OP, did you bring it to the dealer by chance for anything? Did they reprogram over your DHP tune? And do your fans run for a short time after key off?

gtp3.8
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
The PCM is a 3800 Performance Stage 1 PCM. The overheating problem has pretty much gone away but now its how the AC is working. The compressor doesnt even kick in when it goes into these spells but usually in a few miles it will start working.

BNaylor
07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Have you checked the refrigerant (R134a) charge at the low side port. Maybe it is borderline or low.

Add your comment to this topic!